We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire or public transport

London, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire or public transport

We are family of 6 - 4 adults and 2 children below 10 years. We are going to Venice Easter time for 4 days. Hotels in Venice are quite expensive at 150-200 per night for our family but airbnb in mestre is around 90 per night. We will arrive at midnight so we're thinking whether we hire a car and stay in mestre, saving on hotel costs but paying car hire costs or we stay in Venice town but save on car hire. But we will still pay for taxis and buses for 5-6 people each time we travel to Venice and also from airport and back. I have two questions:

1. If we stay in mestre can we drive and park near Venice town and then walk to all common sight seeing places?

2. Given we are 6 people including children does it make sense to hire car ( costs is 150 EUR for 7 seater for 4 days).

3. Any other suggestion for cheaper accommodation in or near venice

Special Offer
Dolomite Mountains Small-Group Day...
772 reviews
from USD 173.90*
USD 193.90
Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,567 reviews
from USD 56.30*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,543 reviews
from USD 75.10*
USD 91.30
St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace...
295 reviews
from USD 81.30*
8 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,840 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire or public transport

Not worth hiring a car , you can only to Piazzale Roma and parking is very expensive, look at Apartments in Venice, there are a lot all budgets, much better than staying in Mestre,

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,964 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire or public transport

Stay in Venice you wont regret it even if it costs a little more.

If you do the economics it sounds like Venice will be a little more but it's well worth it as you will not have to deal with the hassle of going back and forth and Venice is so much more enjoyable in the evening when the day trippers are gone. Also there is no parking near Venice it's in Venice and very expensive.

Edited: 27 November 2017, 01:07
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,501 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire or public transport

As others have said, it's best to stay in Venice rather than Mestre. But even if you do stay in Mestre, it's definitely not worth hiring a car. There are lots of buses, trams and trains in to Venice from Mestre, and if you decided to drive there you would just pay a fortune in parking charges!

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,844 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire or public transport

Calculating the rental costs (€35-40/day as you list), plus parking (€15-30/day depending on where you park) it would seem that Venice is anywhere from slightly less expensive to slightly more, but without the hassle of travelling in/out every morning evening, and the added possibility to pop back in with the kids to rest whenever everyone is a bit winded, so I would strongly suggest trying to find something in Venice and not outside on the mainland in Mestre.

Albion, New York
Level Contributor
640 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire or public transport

If you must stay in Mestre, so be it. But use the train versus a car. The train from Mestre leaves you in Santa Lucia station which is right on the Grand Canal. Walk out the front door and the view is everything you expect from Venice. From the nearby water bus stop you can travel almost anywhere around the Island.

Edited: 27 November 2017, 01:43
London, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire or public transport

Thanks all. It's loud and clear I should stay in Venice even if slightly expensive so I will go with that!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,253 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire or public transport

What about AirBnB in Venice?

I only stya in Mestre when nI ammgoing to use the venice airport the next day. No point in hiring a car at all. there are trains form Mestre to Venice if you stya there.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,833 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire or public transport

If the main aim of your Visit is Venice then stay in Venice. It is a much quieter city in the evenings when the day-trippers have retreated to Mestre or further afield and I find altogether more delightful with the lights tinkling on the waters of the many canals.

Venice is a very safe city at all times of the day and night in all areas. My wife and I are in our 80s and have no qualms walking anywhere in Venice

Reply to: Car hire or public transport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted