We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trieste or Treviso

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
73 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Trieste or Treviso

Hi all, I have a trip coming up in February to Venice. 5 full days and 2 half days (arrival/departure).

I have planned 3 full days in Venice (of which dedicating 1 day to Murano, Burano and Torcello), 1 day in Udine (non negotiable as I lived there 20 yrs ago and want to revisit). That leaves me 1 day left. I am torn between Treviso and Trieste. Treviso is a hop down the road, easy to get to ect but it seems to me not a great deal to see/do. On the other hand Trieste looks stunning with a nice castle and plenty of things to see and do, plus I have always been curious about the city...the massive down side is that it's a 5 hour round trip from my accomodation ( and more expensive on the train, although this is not a huge deal). Long journey for just a day out. What would you do?

Any advice gr8tely appreciated, Thank you

Best Seller
St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace...
459 Reviews
from USD 77.70*
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,630 Reviews
from USD 80.10*
USD 87.30
Best Seller
Venice Grand Canal Gondola Ride and...
2,679 Reviews
from USD 53.80*
14 replies to this topic
Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
8,102 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Trieste or Treviso

I would suggest evaluating the train fare saved, as well as the time, before discounting the "cost" of leaving the accommodation empty for one night, as accommodations in Udine and Trieste are also generally less expensive than Venice.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
337 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Trieste or Treviso

What about Venice? Are you really spending enough time there?

How much time do you feel like spending on the train. Treviso, Vicenza and Padova re much closer than Trieste.

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
73 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Trieste or Treviso

Thanks all. Another good observation from I_heart_Venice however after working out exactly the train fares, etc I have come to the conclusion that by visiting the 2 cities on 2 separate days by train or by travellling to Udine and staying a night in Udine and then proceeding to Trieste I would be spending more or less exactly the same (if I could find accomodation for 2 people for 1 night in Udine for £45 which I probably could). The benefit of that system would be the saving of 5 hours in train journeys....the issue is I would be leaving my original accomodation empty for 1 night, and as it was quite expensive it would be a real shame... I guess I could have planned the whole thing better but I booked it months ago....

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
73 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Trieste or Treviso

i think 3 days in venice would be enough...

Reply to: Trieste or Treviso
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted