We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget for Venice - Need to knows..

London, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Budget for Venice - Need to knows..

Just back from Venice. I've seen so many posts about people asking how much money to take and budget for hotels, attractions and what not so thought id let you know how much we spent.

We are, a couple.. late 20's. Hotel was already paid for which included breakfast. This was approx. £300 for 3 nights, we got a great deal on booking.com.

We had pre-booked a special occasion meal at the Bistot De Venise (we had taken this into consideration that the meal would be in excess of 200euro. 250 euro to be exact).

We had lunch everyday including a bottle of wine, that was approximately 50euros for 2. Main meals range from 8-15 euro, wine can range from about 15-25 euro for a standard bottle. This is based purely on restaurants in the city, im sure you can find restaurants a lot MORE expensive if you want to have fine dining and a lot cheaper if you're really on a budget. Dinner was similar prices, 50-80 euros for 2 including a bottle of wine and occasionally the odd starter.

Most of the attractions are donations only, or 3 euros entry per person.

Gondolas are 80 euro for ONE BOAT, for half hour. you can have 1 person or 6 people, the cost is the same.

Cost from Airport to hotel, we got on the AVTO airport shuttle, 15 euro per person for a return ticket. It dropped us off at the P. ROMA, our hotel was about a 10 minute walk from there so no need for a vaporetto.

In total, we spent 800 euros for 4 whole days including our 250 euro meal. Id say for most couples/friends, 75 euros per person per day, is a good amount to take for lunch and dinner and any little extras you may want to purchase. We took our credit cards but these wernt needed.

We also bought a painting for 30 euro and a mask for 20 euro, this was all in our 800 euro total spend.

Any questions, just ask :)

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
8 replies to this topic
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,934 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget for Venice - Need to knows..

I think you lived pretty well, very nice too but can be done a lot cheaper,

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
24,441 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget for Venice - Need to knows..

Thanks for your informative trip report. You may want to post it also on the trip report thread at the top of the page.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,535 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget for Venice - Need to knows..

We found some good set-price meals (good food at a good price) and a self-service place not far from San Marco, paying under 20€ per person generally. We were staying in an apartment so twice "ate in" at night.

What I found compared with Barcelona, where I live, was that even key "attractions" in Venice cost a lot less than the sights in Barcelona. We paid 24€ for a combined ticket to the Doge's Palace and various museums, of which we visited the Correr Museum, Ca Pesaro and Ca Rezzonico (there were several more but we ran out of time)

There is also a combined ticket for various churches but we preferred to pay for individual ones, 1€ to 3€.

The rooftop terrace of Fondaco dei Tedeschi, with its fabulous views over the Grand Canal in both directions, has free entry, but you need to book your slot at busy times. We also pre booked entry to San Marco, for 2€, but that is not available in the winter months (we were there early October)

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Doge's Palace
Doge's Palace
21,951 Reviews
Venice, Italy
London, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget for Venice - Need to knows..

Oopsy. Thanks MonteCD. I wasn't aware there was a post, still getting to grips with where things are meant to be. I shall repost there now :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget for Venice - Need to knows..

Yes Sophie8, it was a lovely holiday and it was nice to enjoy the lovely restaurants without being so price-restricted. I think if we were on a budget, we definitely could have found lots of places to suit, we found the further away from St Marks square we were, the cheaper things got, which I think is the case in most cities. But could easily have done it on half the budget, with a little more walking.

Mentioned in this post
St. Mark's Square
St. Mark's Square
31,183 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget for Venice - Need to knows..

For me, solo traveller, staying for two and a halfweeks in an apartment. Eating out several times at 30 euro each time.

Total spend, not including the apartment renal, runs at about 55 euro per day.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget for Venice - Need to knows..

I find that one's budget per day decreases progressively if the person returns repeatedly. This is what is wonderful about traveling. Venice and many cities can be enjoyed by everyone with different budgets.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Brisbane, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget for Venice - Need to knows..

Hi, I appreciate you pre-booked your hotel but wondering where you stayed and if you would recommend it? I have been reading reviews on hotels for days and at a total lose on where to stay as I’m also trying to take into Acc somewhere easy to get to airport when leaving. Thanks and look forward to your reply

Reply to: Budget for Venice - Need to knows..
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;