We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip to Italy

Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Road trip to Italy

As my husband doesn’t like to fly, we’ve never really travelled that far. However next Summer we are planning an epic drive through France and Switzerland to Italy staying in a different place each night. We plan to drive 2-3hrs, have a stop off, then a further few and arrive at a hotel around early evening. We’ll be staying at Arras (via Dover), Nancy (via Reims), Lake Lucerne (via Mulhouse), Bardolino (via Como), Venice (via Verona), Chamonix (via Milan), Dijon (via Mont Blanc), Arras (via Troyes) and back home. So if anyone has any recommendations for things to see and places for lunch at the stop points and for an evening visit and meal at the overnight places that would be really useful or just general tips for the trip with two kids aged 13 & 11. Thank you

23 replies to this topic
East Midlands...
Level Contributor
73 posts
108 reviews
21. Re: Road trip to Italy

In the nicest possible way, I would not undertake this trip. I tried something similiar when I was a lot younger and regretted it ever since. Whist I agree that travelling can be part of the holiday I agree with a lot of posters which are saying that you would not be able to see hardly anything. I wish I could be more positive but I would rather be honest and realist. It would be very expnsive and very tiring for the driver. If I had no choice at all, I probably would rather take an organized coach trip tour, it would be cheaper, easier and I would see more. Poster 12 tried to put a positive spin on it, the reality is that 2 and half to 3 weeks is a lot more than 8 days... In any case good luck

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
22,154 posts
7 reviews
22. Re: Road trip to Italy

Tracy, I'm not sure if you have done this kind of trip before but those of us not putting a positive spin on it do give some reasons (and Aussieinmaine's encouragement is to add ldays to your holiday so it doesn't amount to a long sequence of one-night stops.....a great suggestion by the way). At least mesh got it right guessing that there was going to be some extra time being spent in Italy! Hopefully the two days in Venice and two days on Lake Garda that you mention are 2 full days(3 nights) giving you all a chance to catch your breath

I also realise that kids having electronic devices means fewer "are we there yet?" moments than we used to risk getting. We once did an 8-day road trip with 7 changes of hotel and said never again. We weren't actually covering anything like the distances that you are but even so we found it all too much

Another trip we did was a two and a half week road trip when our son was 9 . It included a week in an agriturismo near Vicenza and we then went into Austria and Bavaria with a couple of two-night stays. There was then the long drive home to Barcelona with 4 overnight stops (since only my husband was driving we didn't do more kilometres every day). It was such a bad memory that two years later I put my foot down and we flew to Treviso and toured the area (including Slovenia)) and flew home from Treviso. I was so happy we didn't have the 1200km drive on busy motorways from Slovenia to Barcelona..

Of the places you ask about in France, I have only visited Nancy (loved it, try and stay somewhere fairly central to see Place Stanislas) and Mulhouse. We stayed a night there when our son was 5, so we could take him to the Railway and Firemen's Museums. That may well not be of interest to your kids....in which case Colmar is a better stop, being much prettier

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,667 posts
4 reviews
23. Re: Road trip to Italy

"At least mesh got it right guessing that there was going to be some extra time being spent in Italy! Hopefully the two days in Venice and two days on Lake Garda that you mention are 2 full days(3 nights) giving you all a chance to catch your breath" Thank you, air or sea has never been an option for us so a car journey is the only way we can get to experience France, Switzerland and Italy, so hopefully the OP will enjoy the drive as much as we have done for many, many years.

mesh

Reply to: Road trip to Italy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted