We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celiac

Eugene, Oregon
5 posts
Save Topic
Celiac

My husband and I are spending a week in Bolzano. I have a gluten allergy. Can anyone suggest some restaurants where I can safely eat?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,313 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Celiac

Under RICERCA ESERCIZI, enter Trentino AltoAdige and Bolzano for a list of restaurants in the area.

celiachia.it/DIETA/afc/RistorantiHotel.aspx…

http://www.aictrentino.it/

Italian Celiac Travel Card:

celiactravel.com/gluten-free-cards/21-italia…

Vagabonda

Eugene, Oregon
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Celiac

Thank you!!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,313 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Celiac

Prego Krista D,

Associazone Italiana Celiachia is the Italian Celiac Association.

http://www.celiachia.it/home/HomePage.aspx

http://www.aictrentino.it/

Most restaurants will know what to avoid with your food once you tell them, “Senza glutine” (SEN-zah GLOO-tin-ay).

Supermarkets typically have a "senza glutine" freezer section allowing you to buy gluten-free bread, pizza, or pasta. You would find several types of pasta like corn pasta or buckwheat (grano saraceno). You might consider buying pasta and bringing it to restaurants for cooking.

http://goo.gl/DFeMh

You will also be able to get gluten free foods in pharmacies – Usually order a day prior, but also typically more expensive than supermarkets.

And you could always order rice based dishes (risotto) which is widely eaten throughout Italy, as well as polenta (corn), cheeses, and vegetable.

Celiac is quite prevalent among Italians - You'll eat well without difficulty!

Vagabonda

Eugene, Oregon
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Celiac

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I am really looking forward to our trip :)

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,869 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Celiac

I have celiac and find Italy to be one of the most accommodating places to eat. Vagabonda has provided you with excellent information. Just be aware that most commercial stocks and broths in Italy contain gluten so be sure to ask about anything containing them. Many places should make their own. And be careful with gelato. Many seemingly innocent flavours can contain gluten, not to mention cross contamination.

Do you have an allergy to gluten, celiac or both?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
99,313 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Celiac

Yes, always ask about the ingredients. Chickpea flour would be fine as well.

It’s Surprisingly Easy to Be Gluten-Free in Italy:

legalnomads.com/2012/05/gluten-free-in-italy…

Vagabonda

Eugene, Oregon
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Celiac

I have an allergy to both. I am feeling much better about my trip. Thanks for the gelato tip too. I am assuming that it may be more challenging to eat at German restaurants? We will be coming from Munich. I so appreciate your feedback. Thanks again to you both :)

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,869 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Celiac

Yes, Germany is trickier but there is a great brand of goods called Schar you can get in many countries. Good snacks such as breadsticks, etc. The only thing I do not care for is the bread.

I use my restaurant card for gelato and if it is safe (Grom gelato is all GF)inevitabrom.it I make sure the scoop is cleaned and taken from a fresh batch (no double dipping). If eating at a grill place, remember to require the grill is scrubbed.

I was nervous on my first trip following my celiac diagnosis but that trip and many subsequent trips have gone well. The trickiest thing to me is finding food in airports and choking down the usually disgusting meals on flights. I always take along plenty of snacks as flight delays are inevitable.

Enjoy yourself!

Eugene, Oregon
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Celiac

Thanks again. I agree airports are the worst!! I always have a supply of snacks in my purse :)

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,869 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Celiac

Weird. I typed grom.it. Ah, well. Have a blast!