We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turin vs Torino

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Turin vs Torino

Is Turin and Torino the same? Why do some people call it Turin and others Torino? I'm confused.

Philadelphia
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Turin vs Torino

"Torino? is Italian for "Turin". The same as "Roma" is Italian for "Rome." Why the Olymnpic committee chose the native pronuncination for these games, I don't know.

Philadelphia
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Turin vs Torino

"Torino" is Italian for "Turin". The same as "Roma" is Italian for "Rome." Why the Olymnpic committee chose the native pronuncination for these games, I don't know.

Rome,Italy
Level Contributor
526 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Turin vs Torino

"Is Turin and Torino the same? Why do some people call it Turin and others Torino? I'm confused.

"Torino" is Italian for "Turin". The same as "Roma" is Italian for "Rome." Why the Olymnpic committee chose the native pronuncination for these games, I don't know."

You can't be serious...please tell us that you are NOT serious...

To answer the first question."Turin" is the English word for "Torino",like Milan and Rome are the English words for Milano and Roma.

As for the second question...hmmm,maybe because the games are being held in Italia...where they happen to call THEIR city "Torino"...FYI,the games are not produced solely for the English-speaking world.

Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turin vs Torino

Because as other have pointed out that the English call the Italian city of Torino by the name Turin, maybe because early English travellers on the grand tour like to drop the "o"s instead of the aitches, but far better then modern BBC commentators who pronounce it Tchew-rin, with an affected accent.

FYI interest it was originally the Celtic village of Taurasia, later shortened by the Romans to Taurinorium, and its symbol is a bull as modern astrological buffs might recognise the latin root. Lets hope they keep them off the slopes (the bulls that is).

Philadelphia
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Turin vs Torino

My entire point to the message above was that "Torino" and "Turin" are one and the same...one is the English pronuncination, the other is the Italian pronuncination.

And I challenge anyone to tell me the name of ONE olympic games where the native city name was used, other than Tornio (I'm sure there is one, but I am unable to recall any). This is not the norm.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turin vs Torino

LOL, Piedmontamore... !

"FYI interest it was originally the Celtic village of Taurasia, later SHORTENED (?!!! my capitals) by the Romans to Taurinorium" (eight letters to eleven ? !)

It seems Taormina in Sicily was also named after a bull... funny how they didn't call that one Torino too ! (or have I got that wrong ? Someone will correct me, no doubt !)

Like the new picture of your pet animal ! Do you only have the one cat or several ? And ...any other (domestic) animals ? or a bull even, on your farm ?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turin vs Torino

I don't understand why cities like Torino and Milano need english translations. They are perfectly easy to say for english speaking people. Do other laguages translate american cities? For example, do people say "Salt Lake City" or do they translate each of the words Salt, Lake and City to their native language?

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turin vs Torino

I think it is a conspiracy by the Italians to keep foreign visitors in a constant state of panic and confusion! Shame on them!

Come Sta Piedmontamore? ( and you are not exactly making it easy for us foreigners with a monica like that are you? ) Are you too excited by the Olympic games to talk to us these days?

Note to the confused. I am being sarcastic.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turin vs Torino

"When in Roma..."

(or in this case, Torino...). :-)

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turin vs Torino

and to an american in rome.( lets stop being pretentious and say it as it is Michael!) How are the plans for the still coming on? some woman go for nice eyes, or a GSOH - but a still does it for me everytime! ciao.

another note to the confused. Then I was joking and flirting at the same time. You will get the hang of it.