We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Turin, Asti or Alba?

Chicago
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stay in Turin, Asti or Alba?

Hi, we will be visiting this region for 3 nights in May and are not sure whether we should stay in Turin and travel into the Alba/Asti areas for wine tours, or should we just stay in the Alba/Asti area and travel into Turin if we want to see the city? We love wine and would definitely want to do some tours regardless of where we stay. We are just unfamiliar with the region, so unsure of what would be best for a base. We do love good food/restaurants and shopping as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Turin, Asti or Alba?

If you are a wine lover, stay in Asti or Alba area and make a day's trip to Turin (its 30 minutes from Asti, 60 minutes from Alba). If you are a city person then vice versa of course. BUT 3 nights is not going to be a lot of time, really it will give you one day of wine touring and one day to tour Turin. I think Asti area is the most central and convenient to fit in both. Both Asti and Alba have a smart shopping street and great restaurants abound in the area, in the towns and in the many hilltop villages. Wineries are usually outside of main towns, basically there are 5 main wine areas, each worthy of a days trip; Barolo, Barbaresco/Langhe, S.Monferrato, N.Monferrato & Roero,in order of recognition, but each have their own flavour and charms. Check out other posts on the forums and don't miss Eataly in Turin.

Logan, Utah
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Turin, Asti or Alba?

I agree. I love Alba, but I really love Asti, and it is slightly more convenient to day-trip to Torino from Asti. Asti is a great town, and Alba is only 20 minutes away by car. Do get a car. The driving is easy, but I'd train into Torino, I think.

Also, about the wine tours. I am not suggesting that you skip the actual vineyard visits, but do consider hitting the regional enotecas (not plural for enoteca, but it will do!). These are housed centrally in the sub-regions and they give you a chance to taste a variety of the wines of the region with an unbiased (sure) wine steward leading the bout. So, in the town of Barbaresco, there is a regional enoteca to taste Barbaresco; in the town of Barolo there is ... In Nizza Monferrato enoteca you can see 400 barberas from the Nizza region. In my mind, this is a much better way to get to know the regional differences. And that is no critique at all of the locals who will show you their dirt and vines!

Check out Villa Sampaguita, whose oweners go by the pen-name of ... ??? (they wrote above.) I've been to their place. It's great.

Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Turin, Asti or Alba?

A good suggestion from Pedalforte to visit Enoteca's for a broad tasting experince of many wines, except how many Enoteca's can you do in one day!!!

Good ones to rry are La Signora in Rosso as mentioned in Nizza M, the old church in the middle of Barbaresco (yes a church of wine) and in Barolo area I prefer the Castle at Grinzano Cavour to the castle in Barolo.

In Turn, go to Eataly, with a huge selection of foodstuffs and wines.

4. Re: Stay in Turin, Asti or Alba?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Asti