We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a day between Torino and Alessandria

geneva
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
a day between Torino and Alessandria

good morning to everyone!

next monday we'll be driving from Briancon in the french alps to a wonderful little place in the forest near Alessandria, called la Traversina. It is a short drive and without going into Torino we'd like to explore a bit on our way to the guesthouse. We love little towns and villages, wines and history but we would rather not go out of our way too much. Could somebody help us out working out an itinerary?

thank you so much

Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a day between Torino and Alessandria

From Briancon, instead of going up to the autostrada through Val di Susa, why not take the road to Sestriere and over to Pinerolo via the scenic Val Chisone, if you google Val Chisone there is a reasonable amount of information, and its not out of the way. Then I would pick up the autostrada directly to Alessandria and not try to go via the Monferrato as it will take ypu out of your way. Save your trips around the Monferrato and central Piedmont for when you are based in yoyr guest house.

geneva
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a day between Torino and Alessandria

To Piemontamore

thank you so much for answering my mail!

My father is from briancon so I've been going there ever since i was born and of course i 've also been to sestriere but never to the val chisone so your suggestion is great! i just have one more question though: we have to drop off our son at the train station in oulx so do we have to backtrack to Cesana to get to sestriere or can we go from oulx to Pinerolo?

finally, if you are ever looking for a very special bed and breakfast near Alessandria, in the middle of a forest and less than an hour from the coast, look up La Traversina in Stazzano, it really is a little paradise, which is why we're going back, before heading out to cinque terre for a few days.great for a relaxing weekend...

Grazie tante per tutto!

Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a day between Torino and Alessandria

I don't know the road, but looking on the map its not very far to back track from Cesana to Oulx, about 10 km to be exact.

I have heard of La Traversina, I would hardly call it near Allessandria though, almost halfway down to Genova. A friend stayed there and loved the flower gardens. But since I live here in Piedmont (near Asti) I don't need a place to stay, but thank you. You obvioulsy have been there before, have you been over to Gavi which is not far away?

geneva
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a day between Torino and Alessandria

no, i haven't been to Gavi! should we?

please don't feel rushed to answer, we are not leaving geneva for briancon until tomorrow afternoon!

thanks and have a good day

5. Re: a day between Torino and Alessandria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Asti