We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baresco

Prairies
1 post
Save Topic
Baresco

Is the wine Barbaresco connected to the family name of Baresco. Have been told that the wine is named- 'bar' for the county Barolo with the remainer sometimes after a family's vineyard...in this case...it would be Baresco. Anyone shed light on this?

London
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Baresco

I was recently in Piedmont and visited both the towns of Barolo and Barbaresco being an avid lover of Piedmontese wines. I have never heard anyone tell this story, as far as I know both wines are made from the Nebbiolo grape and take their name from the nearby local town.

Mentioned in this post
Leini, Italy
Level Contributor
379 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baresco

honestly, i was (and am) sure the name comes directly and simply from the town's name.

"barbaresco" is also an ancient form of "barbaro" italian word, present in english in the form "barbarian"; Titus LIvius quoted that wine, so it's possible it was already produced when this area was not yet romanized, i.e. barbaric. (possible don't means certain: there are also other legends)

if I am right, we are in the wrong forum, because Barbaresco is 10 km away from Alba, i.e. in Cuneo area

:-)

Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baresco

I agree with Kiob, the name of the wine is derived from the name of the principal commune, i.e. Barbaresco or in the other case Barolo (which is a town and not a county) Both are in modern Cuneo province, Barolo is south of Alba and is in the centre of a roughly horshoe shaped valley in the Langhe hills, with what is considered a perfect climate for the Nebbiolo grape. Barbaresco is North of Alba, in the beginning of the Langhe zone, and overlooks the Tanaro river valley which connects Alba to Asti. Funnily enough until recently (100 years ago) these communes produced a sweet red wine as noone knew how to ferment the late-harvested Nebbiolo grapes to dryness and it was the Savoy kings who brought in a French oenologist to start making the wines we know today.

But Baresco family, never heard of this one. Where did you find this story?

4. Re: Baresco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 19:18
Get answers to your questions about Asti