We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel books

PA
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Travel books

Does Rick Steves give the most info?

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel books

Specific to Asti? Not even mentioned in his Italy 2006 edition. Re: Italy in general? I have 3 travel guides on Italy (Michelins, Frommer's and Steve's) and in my opinion Rick Steve's is the easiest to use and contains the most practical information.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,200 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel books

For the Piedmont area, try Cadogan, Lonely Planet, Blue Guides, Rough Guides, and DK Eyewitness Travel Guides.

amazon.co.uk/Italian-Riviera-Piedmont-Cadoga…

amazon.com/Lonely-Planet-Piedmont-Nicola-Wil…

Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel books

Rick Steves has no information on Piedmont at all, I think that the best travel book for this region is Cadogan's Guide to Italian Riveira and Piedmont and also National Geographic Traveler Guide to Piedmont and NW Italy is quite good.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
275 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel books

I really like the Timeout books right now because they let you know when restaurants and bars are closed. Since I'm going in August, when lots of places are closed, this is important.

Logan, Utah
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel books

I think the best travel guide is right here! I mean that. I've looked at them all, and you can get up-to-date info right here that is not in the guidbooks from people who live there --every day.

The point: ask a specific question (e.g., cheap restaurants, places to stay, wineries to visit, etc.). See what you get! There are several folks here who can help immensely. For free.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel books

I ditto Piedmontamore's advise about Cadogan's Guide to Italian Riveira and Piedmont. Just got it the other day from Amazon and it is very informative (especially about the recent history of Italy ) and has some great maps.

Piedmontamore, see I have the guide book - I will have to come and see you now! Or else I will have wasted £12.99. lol.

Will have to start thinking about September.

x jean

7. Re: Travel books

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Asti