We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental - Locauto

Which Milan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental - Locauto

Hi,

Has anyone used Locauto to rent a car or van?

Thanks,

angela

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
141. Re: Car Rental - Locauto

WARNING: When hiring a car overseas take photos of every panel of the car before and when you return it + the fuel gauge. Also, get them to write on the paperwork that everything is OK and sign it. Keep all paperwork and photos for at least 6 months.

We have just been notified again by American Express that our card is being used fraudulently. It turns out that the LOCAUTO the car company we used in Italy in May 2012 has charged another amount to our account 3 months later!!

This is not a one off occasion. It has happened every trip - UK, France, Budapest, Italy etc. We have used Avis, Hertz, Budget and now Locauto and they all scam you this way. I am also told it happens in Australia as well. So be aware, take precautions and pass it on to others.

Yucatan
Level Contributor
46 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
142. Re: Car Rental - Locauto

stay away from Locauto

Stafford, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
143. Re: Car Rental - Locauto

I have justt returned from Sardinia, I was told everything was in order, I gave the car back clean not damage, full tank you fuel, and I have just had 133 pounds taken out of may account for no reason. I will see what Jigsaw say, after reading these reviews I am not holding out any hope. Better not to use any of them and go with an honest comany, you may pay a bit more but worth it

MAlta
Level Contributor
65 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
144. Re: Car Rental - Locauto

It seems I read this post a little bit too late :s We have just returned back from Milan and we have used economy car rentals which in turn use locauto. Till now we did not receive anything from them but I am scared we soon will :S. I tend to agree that yes they were very rude at the reception desk and yes they tried to fraud us there and then saying that the extra driver was not included and we had to pay around euro 60 for it. Which needless to say I refused and phoned economy car rentals (from my mob so now we will see the bill) and they phoned them to tell them yes it was included. fingers crossed now :S

Tallinn
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
145. Re: Car Rental - Locauto

I have now read all reviews and pity that i didnt read them before i went to Sicily. Well in my case i dont know would it helped.

I did booked car thru carhire3000.ie, when voucher arrived it sayd Locauto.

When we arrived to Trapani airport and presented our voucher and credit card women in Locauto desk attempt to use credit card, but it didnt work. She tried twice (with diffrent ammounts?!) but still not working. We knew that credit card must work, we had pay the voucher on that card. She just kept saying its not working and if we dont have another credit card we cant have a car. She sayd there is no internet in whole airpot and she cant help us in any way. Finally we had to rent from other company wich did except debit card.

Locauto women sayd that we will loose 3 days rent and get rest of it back. I have contacted carhire3000, bt they send me wierd message that we get back eur0 and it takes 7 days. Its been now like 10 days and nothing. When back from Sicily, contacted bank and they sayd credit card is valid, working and nobody hasent even tried to take money from it.

So my question is, do they just get away with this? It was not our fault that they had problems with using credit card.

And we just have to reconcile with extra rental costs?

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
146. Re: Car Rental - Locauto

Do not touch this company with a barge pole. They are fraudsters. They took over £1,000 from my account for alleged damage and an alleged fuel shortage, neither of which are valid claims. You cannot speak to anyone in customer services once you have returned to the UK and they simply ignore written correspondence. They clearly wait for people to threaten legal action before agreeing to return monies fraudulently claimed. Absolutely appalling.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
147. Re: Car Rental - Locauto

Do not touch this company with a barge pole. They are fraudsters. They took over £1,000 from my account for alleged damage and an alleged fuel shortage, neither of which are valid claims. You cannot speak to anyone in customer services once you have returned to the UK and they simply ignore written correspondence. They clearly wait for people to threaten legal action before agreeing to return monies fraudulently claimed. Absolutely appalling.

Sydney
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
148. Re: Car Rental - Locauto

Do not recommend you locauto AT ALL. Be aware!

They gave us a car with 3/4 tank full!

When we find out immediately phone them and as reply they said that was fine because according to them was a problem with the float pointing the right level of fuel. But when we fill the tank at the top, the sign was perfect at the end!!! When we take back the car they didn't want to listen! They said that the sign level was perfect and didn't want to gave back the money we spent over for the fuel. They ask the car be give back with the fuel full AS THEY SHOULD GIVE. Disonest, they didn't want to admit be wrong. Also they gave us a car not being checked by a mechanical workshop.

Do not trust them!

down
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
149. Re: Car Rental - Locauto

We used Locauto Sept 2012. AVOID THEM I booked and pre paid through Car Del Mar. We returned car with no scratches. The agent was pleased. A day later E308 went out of my credit card. i emailed them to ask what it was for.They replied it was for Road tax and airport duty. i am now writing to dispute this DISHONEST practice and will let you know what happens.

Nottingham, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
150. Re: Car Rental - Locauto

Don't touch them with a very long stick. This company is a scam. You will be charged about £400 whatever cognition you return the car. If you take out an indemnity insurance for your rental they will simply use it to have everything wrong on the car fixed at your insurers expens (&hassle to you).

The insurance companies should be aware of this scam.