We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Milan then train to Venice

Amsterdam, New York
Level Contributor
139 posts
13 reviews
Flying to Milan then train to Venice

Our international flight arrives into Milan at 7:45. We are then immediately taking a train from Milan Central to Venice. Please advice on the time to select to book our train tickets to Venice.

The times I think we might be safe to book at the lowest train fare are 1:30. That gives us 5 1/2 hours to go through luggage, customs and get the shuttle train into Milan Central. Are we giving ourselves enough time or would the next earliest 11:34 train be pushing our luck. We would assume our flight is on time. If it's delayed we have only lost approximately 10 euros an adult. Thank you

3 replies to this topic
north carolina
Level Contributor
6,615 posts
155 reviews
1. Re: Flying to Milan then train to Venice

Assuming you come in at 7:45 am, right?

I would allow and hour to get out of Malpensa assuming you are flying in to Malpensa); and an hour for the train to Centrale (I know it is labeled "express" but that may be misleading) and an hour for something to go wrong.

So you might expect to catch a train to Venice departing about 11:00 or so.

I would not buy a ticket in advance unless you are traveling on a holiday, many trains run that way all day, and almost never sell out.

In Centrale train station be alert for pickpockets. It is crowded, noisy, frenetic.

The ticket machines have options in English and they will accept your credit card.

If you have never been there before, when you buy the tickets, allow yourself 15 minutes or so minimum to get on the train.

May I suggest that the second class seats go as fast as the first class and the cost saving on the train is hardly comparable to the trade off for time in Venice. Take the first available (Freccia) train.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,459 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Flying to Milan then train to Venice

" Take the first available (Freccia) train."

I don't know when you are travelling, but as an alternative to the above comment, I would look at prebooking tickets with Italo (instead of Trenitalia). Some tickets after mid day are priced at €9.90, and Italo has a more generous ticket change conditions

https://www.italotreno.it/en/the-train/fares

Europe
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
3. Re: Flying to Milan then train to Venice

5.5 hours is plenty.

"Are we giving ourselves enough time or would the next earliest..." - I'm not sure what the search box on the Milan forum page might find... This kind of question is often asked every month for which advice is given. For example, here is a recent one exactly entitled "Milan Airport to Venice by train (transfer time allowed)", asking in asimilar fashion: "I arrive... from US - how long should I allow... to get the high speed train to Venice?" [ https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18784… ], plus four more quoted there. You can read many opinions on those threads. The usual advice is not to pre-purchase a ticket for a connecting train to another city (and just buy at the airport train station - no need to wait until Centrale Station as envisaged in a post further above) unless the early booking discount is so good that you are prepared for it to be worthless and useless if you miss the ticketed scheduled train due to flight and/or airport delays. If, as you say, you don't mind losing 10 euros per person, then 11:34 could be a possible plan.

Edited: 21 August 2018, 13:52
Reply to: Flying to Milan then train to Venice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted