We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BEST place to stay in lake como.??

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
BEST place to stay in lake como.??

Hello,

we are looking at visiting lake Como next July. I have stayed in Como before and loved all the restaurants and shopping! How far is tremezzo or bellagio from Como? Does Tremezzo or bellagio have good shopping and places to eat and go out ect? Please help.

Thanks

Tea World
Gift & Speciality Shops
Mr. Savethewall
Gift & Speciality Shops
Le Sciarpe Di Carogio
Gift & Speciality Shops
Tucker, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BEST place to stay in lake como.??

For shopping and eating options, focus on Bellagio. Tremmezzo does not have even half the options/alternatives as Bellagio. Bellagio also offers more convenient boat service (it seems like dang near every boat stops at Bellagio).

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,482 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: BEST place to stay in lake como.??

Como’s really the best for shopping – Como is a small city.

Bellagio would be next best, but still a town.

www.bellagiolakecomo.com/Ing/Inglese/__Shops/

http://www.comoguide.com/como-shopping.html

http://www.bellagio.co.nz/

Vagabonda

Edited: 31 July 2011, 02:24
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BEST place to stay in lake como.??

Bellagio is a lovely town. Easy to get ferries around the lake to other villages, some lovely places to eat, pleasant walks out of the town and some shops. Como shopping is better - you can make a day of it travelling down by ferry which in itself is very scenic..

Albury, Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BEST place to stay in lake como.??

In mid May where would you say is the sunniest side of the Lake - West (Managgio) or East Varenna, or middle of it all Bellagio? How 'touristy' would Bellagio be in mid May? Is Menaggio troubled by the through road that goes past Cadenabbia? We just want to be able to eat out a few nights in a week stay in self-catering accommodation and are not interested in restaraunts that cater mainly to up market types of tourists. Places the locals frequent would be preferable. Varenna, Menaggio, Bellagio or small villages within walking distance to any of these places? Everyone seems to say Bellagio so is it really the nicest place for a first time visitor?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,482 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: BEST place to stay in lake como.??

Western Lake Como is the sunniest side of the lake….

Bellagio is Lake Como’s most touristy village, but May isn’t a very touristy month and it’s a wonderful time to visit with the gardens in bloom. Any of the mid-lake towns are lovely and scenic, but the ratio of tourist to locals is less in Menaggio than Bellagio, so possibly Menaggio is a better option for you.

Menaggio is a delightful town with a local feel, a lovely lakeside promenade, and a helpful TI, and Bellagio is a short ferry ride away for a visit.

http://www.menaggio.com/new/index.php?lang=EN

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

albuquerque
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BEST place to stay in lake como.??

I like to stay in Argegno, it's less touristy, not crowded and yet has great boat connections to the entire lake as well as easy access to a local bus.

It's been a while since I was last there, but I've stayed twice at the Albergo Villa Belvedere which is a small family run inn. It's got a fabulous location right on the lake (be sure to ask for a lakeside room) and an interesting history.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,683 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BEST place to stay in lake como.??

Yes Argegno is very nice but also very quiet, we often have dinner at the "La Griglia" in St Anna a few kms from Argegno.

Albury, Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BEST place to stay in lake como.??

Hi all, thankyou for your input. I have looked up the site for Menaggio (thanks Vagabond) and sent an enquiry about one apartment. We don't mind somewhere a bit quiet but if early May truly is not going to be too busy we'd probably like to be somewhere with a bit going on. We'll get to visit many of the places over a week (weather permitting). Which places have the most convenient and frequent boats to get around the lake? Is Menaggio bothered by a busy through road in front of the promenade? This aspect put me off Cadenabbia. I will look again at Argegno. There are so many places for rent it is a bit overwhelming. Many have never been reviewed on any travel forums but they look okay on the sites. I'm sure I will find something. Thanks for the links to sites for accommodation in Bellagio also.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
113,482 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: BEST place to stay in lake como.??

Prego MicRon55,

The mid-lake ferry service is quite convenient.

www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/c_illago.html

Menaggio’s main 2-way street is inland. There’s a 1-way street heading north along the promenade.

http://www.menaggio.com/cartina2011.pdf

Argegno has the busy 2-way lakeside street along the coast and the ferry port, and the town rises up behind this street.

You might appreciate reading about niec’s apartment in Menaggio....

Couple of days in Lake Como:

tripadvisor.com/…33937041

Regards,

Vagabonda

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
910 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BEST place to stay in lake como.??

You might also consider Cernobbio that is often overlooked but it's not only Villa D'Este. it offers frequent ferry connections to reach all the lake, Bellagio included, it's frequented by many locals (included myself) and so restaurants are decent, very sunny because it faces south, good base to visit from the lake all the most beautiful private villas that fill the southern shores and it's at bus/ferry/taxi range from Como with shopping and nightlife.