We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Como - Lake Lugano?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Lake Como - Lake Lugano?

We have only two nights to spend in the Lakes District. We will be coming by train from Wengen on our way through Milan and on to Provence. I had originally thought of staying one night in Lugano or Locarno, and one night in Como. Now I think with the travel included we would not see much on anything, so I think we shall stay both nights in one place so we can at least see one lake better. My questions is which of these lovely areas would you pick if you only had one full day to explore. We will be there in mid September. Any information on excursion or hotels would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Susan

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Como - Lake Lugano?

Personally I would suggest Como, rather than Lugano or Locarno. In my opinion it is on a much nicer lake. Como town is nice enough for a morning stroll but I really recommend getting the boat up to the centre lake, especially around Bellagio & Varenna. It time permits you could also try Villa Balbianello

in Lenno

canada
Level Contributor
7,728 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Como - Lake Lugano?

You can enjoy the islands on Lake Maggiore whether staying in Locarno or Stresa.

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
910 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Como - Lake Lugano?

Lugano is a very nice city and the lake is a small version of Como Lake but without the charme of the villas that makes como lake unique.

I would give an hour time for a quick tour of Lugano city and then move to Como.

4. Re: Lake Como - Lake Lugano?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 July 2011, 09:43
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,233 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Como - Lake Lugano?

Lake Como offers more than lake Lugano - Gardens, villas, charming towns....

Vagabonda

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Como - Lake Lugano?

Thank you for the suggestion. If the train changes allow I think that would be a very good idea.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,233 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Como - Lake Lugano?

Simply take the train from Milan Centrale to Varenna. Take the train heading for Sondrio or Tirano. The departure board may also read “Leccotirano.” All Sondrio trains will stop in Varenna. Sit on the train’s left side for stunning views of the lake! Exit the train at Varenna-Esino.

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

Then ferry from Varenna to Bellagio.

http://www.navlaghi.it/eng/c_illago.html

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
910 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Como - Lake Lugano?

I think she is coming from the north, so probably she won't be passing through Milan. She can stop in Lugano, make a quick tour of the city leaving the luggage at the station and then arrive at Como and take the bus for wherever she decided to stay.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,233 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Como - Lake Lugano?

Of course if coming from Wengen – Grazie claudioborghi!

Also the bus runs between Lugano and Menaggio.

SPT C12 Menaggio-Lugano:

asfautolinee.it/Lineeeorari/…Default.aspx

www.asfautolinee.it/LinkClick.aspx…

Bellagio to Lugano Town:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187834-i593-k3910…

Vagabonda

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake Como - Lake Lugano?

Thank you so much. That is what we have decided to do. Susan