We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Cinque Terre to Venice

Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Cinque Terre to Venice

Hi,

We will be departing Cinque Terre on May 24th for Venice. I am wondering the best way via train to get from Cinque Terre to Venice. I have read some posts that say go through Milan and some that say go through Florence. We are just looking for the quickest route. I find the Trenitalia website a little confusing so just trying to find easy advice before we depart on the 17th :) :)

Also, should we book ahead or this is a frequent trip that requires no ahead booking?

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Mentioned in this post
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,346 Reviews
from USD 104.20*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
762 Reviews
from USD 104.20*
Special Offer
Cinque Terre Semi-Private Day Trip...
1,054 Reviews
from USD 175.90*
USD 195.60
6 replies to this topic
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,443 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Cinque Terre to Venice

There is no one best way. It depends on your criteria for best (e.g. fastest, fewest changes, cheapest, largest proportion of journey in reserved seats) and it depends on departure time and also on which village you are leaving from.

So simply look at http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en for options between your specific departure village and Venezie S. Lucia, and make your choice. Trenitalia will usually show you the fastest options for each departure time. It is only if your personal criteria are different (e.g. fewest changes, cheapest) that you need to make more sophisticated searches.

While there are savings to be made from advance purchase on journey legs using Intercity and Frecce trains, you are booking too late to achieve the most significant savings and for some options there are now no advance savings to be made.

Turin
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Cinque Terre to Venice

Enter the name of the Cinque Terre village where you are staying in the "from" field and Venezia S. Lucia in the "to" one.

Pick an hour of departure from the drop down menu.

The route via Milan takes more, so the site will probably show it only if put Monterosso as departure station.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 08:16
Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
California
Level Contributor
12,435 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Cinque Terre to Venice

Depending, it takes 5.5 to 6 hours to go from the Cinque Terre to Venice......

Mentioned in this post
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
CA
Level Contributor
10,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Cinque Terre to Venice

Be aware that there are two cruise ships in the La Spezia port on the 22nd, and on the 23rd one of the biggest in the world carrying up to 6,780 passengers.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 08:58
Mentioned in this post
La Spezia
La Spezia
Province of La Spezia, Italy
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Cinque Terre to Venice

Thank you all so much for your replies.

After putting in this info into Trenitalia, I believe that I found the best train for us. Thanks again for your help!

Also, Francophool, thanks for the heads up about the cruise ship! I will try and be mentally prepared. Hopefully it will not be as bad as I am imagining it to be!

CA
Level Contributor
10,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Cinque Terre to Venice

You don't indicate the village, but for a day trip, see the following:

http://www.e656.net/orario/treno/11364.html

Reply to: Getting from Cinque Terre to Venice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted