We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cinque Terre or San Marino/Rimini

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Cinque Terre or San Marino/Rimini

Hello we are touring Europe for three months and in our 2nd month (July) we will be visiting Florence, we are then looking at either going to San Marino/Rimini or to Cinque Terre, which almost seems out of the way as we are travelling to Venice next, but I just wondered if Cinque Terre was worth the extra travel rather than go the route via San Marino?

We are 2 adults and 1 11 year old in a motorhome, love sightseeing and want to see things out of the ordinary. Also to note we would have just travelled up from Amalfi Coast area aswell if that helps! thank you in Advance

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Rimini
Rimini
Province of Rimini, Italy
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,346 Reviews
from USD 104.20*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
761 Reviews
from USD 104.20*
Special Offer
Cinque Terre Semi-Private Day Trip...
1,054 Reviews
from USD 176.00*
USD 195.70
12 replies to this topic
Garstang
Level Contributor
46 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cinque Terre or San Marino/Rimini

Rimini is more of a flat beach holiday type place whereas the Cinque Terre are a backpackers version of the amalfi.

If you just want a beach holiday break then go to Rimini OR the Tuscan beach resorts of Viareggio etc. If you want to see stunning landscapes, small towns and beautiful backdrop then Cinque Terre wins hands down

Mentioned in this post
Rimini
Rimini
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Viareggio
Viareggio
Province of Lucca, Italy
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cinque Terre or San Marino/Rimini

Thank you Piggles, it sounds like Cinque Terre might be the better option then, the only other question I have is, will I have seen something similar if we have been to Amalfi ?

thank you

Mentioned in this post
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cinque Terre or San Marino/Rimini

They are similar but different ie the CT are more fishing villages - less wealthy. Not as stunning a coast as Amalfi (which lets face it, is just jaw dropping and my favourite place!) but compared to blackpool-esque flat beaches and flat coastlines on the other side, they are definitely worth visiting.

My husband actually prefers the CT to amalfi as they are less pretentious. We backpacked using the trains there one summer and enjoyed Monterosso which has a good sandy beach and more going on than the other towns

Yes they are similar in terms of rockiness but have a different feel to them.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 07:21
Mentioned in this post
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cinque Terre or San Marino/Rimini

San Marino and Rimini for sure.You will see tourists at CT as in Amalfi. Avoid crowds and travel to San Marino.

Mentioned in this post
Rimini
Rimini
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
CA
Level Contributor
10,831 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cinque Terre or San Marino/Rimini

I agree with Guido's very coherent suggestion.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cinque Terre or San Marino/Rimini

San Marino is absolutely excellent place to visit (and you can tick off a different country on your holiday). You can spend a whole day walking the mountain and checking out the castle. Rimini isn't that great of a place but if you want a beach go for it.

Otherwise if you are on your way to Venice do San Marino and then hit some of the beaches in Veneto or Friuli which are known to be awesome without the touristy issues

Mentioned in this post
Rimini
Rimini
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Veneto
Veneto
Italy
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cinque Terre or San Marino/Rimini

Forget to say that I can't comment on San Marino as I've never actually been.

Rimini indeed won't have as many tourists - but it will have more Italian holidaymakers there.

And as mentioned, there is of course a Lido beach just outside Venice which is a similar promenade/flat beach.

Mentioned in this post
Rimini
Rimini
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
8,150 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cinque Terre or San Marino/Rimini

If you decide to go to CT be aware that most of the villages will not be accessible to your motorhome. The standard way to visit CT is by train or ferry.

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
796 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cinque Terre or San Marino/Rimini

You are driving the Amalfi Coast, in a motorhome, in July? Wow. Please do post about that when you have done it. I imagine you are using the motorhome as your place to stay so camping areas will need to be within walking distance of places you want to visit? or near public transportation?

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cinque Terre or San Marino/Rimini

Thank you for all your suggestions, it definitely gives me more to think about !

As for taking the motor home in the Amalfi I hope I'm avoiding that by coming across from Bari and then Google maps takes us in past Herculean and Veshvious into Sorrento where we are staying in camper, I'm hoping to do Amalfi by boat and bus so we don't get involved in the chaos if it all.

Thanks sooooo much for all your help

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Bari
Bari
Province of Bari, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Reply to: Cinque Terre or San Marino/Rimini