We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage on Venice-Trieste trains

Scottsville, NY
Level Contributor
16 posts
64 reviews
Luggage on Venice-Trieste trains

While in Italy next month, we are planning to travel via train and intend to buy first-class tickets when they're available so that we don't have to worry about having enough room for our luggage (we also plan to have only one bag apiece). It appears that there are no first-class seats on the trains from Venice to Trieste, however. I'm wondering whether we will have an issue. From what I've been able to gather, it looks like we would either have to use overhead bins or just put the luggage near us somewhere in the car.

Will the overhead bins accommodate a piece of luggage larger than what is considered stowable on a plane? Also, how likely is it that the trains from Venice to Trieste would be crowded enough that finding a spot for luggage would be difficult? Are there times of the day when they tend to get crowded?

We are traveling to Trieste on 10/5 and then planning on taking the high-speed train to Florence on 10/8. Since first-class seating is available on the Trieste-Florence route, I think we're okay there.

Any input would be helpful.

13 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
271 posts
11. Re: Luggage on Venice-Trieste trains

I too haven't noticed porters being readily available- at least as a passenger service. And when disembarking, by the time you found a porter you'd be at the next station! Trains often don't stop long, especially at smaller stations. One quirk of Italian trains is that the mechanism for opening the door varies. On one occasion at a small rural station I missed my stop because I couldn't get the damned door open.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,965 posts
44 reviews
12. Re: Luggage on Venice-Trieste trains

Chiming in about porter availability! I have never noticed porters being "readily available." There may be some ne're-do-wells trying to assist you, but don't let them. They will ask for a lot of money or disappear with your bags.

Scottsville, NY
Level Contributor
16 posts
64 reviews
13. Re: Luggage on Venice-Trieste trains

Well, the folks who said it wouldn't be an issue were right. Our train to Trieste had a platform for the bags; the one on the way back had enough room above the seats. The only train we took which was a bit crowded for luggage was the high-speed train from Florence to Venice, but even that was manageable. I appreciate the reassurance from those who have experienced train travel before. My concern was being a complete newb and not knowing the first thing about what to expect. For those who do it often, it all seems very simple, but for someone who has never done it, not so much. So thank you to everyone who contributed.

Reply to: Luggage on Venice-Trieste trains
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Trieste