We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage on Venice-Trieste trains

Scottsville, NY
Level Contributor
16 posts
64 reviews
Luggage on Venice-Trieste trains

While in Italy next month, we are planning to travel via train and intend to buy first-class tickets when they're available so that we don't have to worry about having enough room for our luggage (we also plan to have only one bag apiece). It appears that there are no first-class seats on the trains from Venice to Trieste, however. I'm wondering whether we will have an issue. From what I've been able to gather, it looks like we would either have to use overhead bins or just put the luggage near us somewhere in the car.

Will the overhead bins accommodate a piece of luggage larger than what is considered stowable on a plane? Also, how likely is it that the trains from Venice to Trieste would be crowded enough that finding a spot for luggage would be difficult? Are there times of the day when they tend to get crowded?

We are traveling to Trieste on 10/5 and then planning on taking the high-speed train to Florence on 10/8. Since first-class seating is available on the Trieste-Florence route, I think we're okay there.

Any input would be helpful.

13 replies to this topic
1. Re: Luggage on Venice-Trieste trains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2018, 02:49

Turin
Level Contributor
9,389 posts
1 review
2. Re: Luggage on Venice-Trieste trains

Except for being less crowded, what's the connection between class and luggage space?

I agree with the above post, relax and travel in 2nd like everybody else.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: Luggage on Venice-Trieste trains

If the type of train is important to you, it looks like you can connect to a Frecce train at Venezia Mestre (from Venezia S. Lucia). You might find more room for luggage there, but it's only a few minutes faster than the earlier Regionale Veloce train, which is fine, too (we've taken a Regionale on that route).

If your bag doesn't fit in the overhead area, you usually put it at the end of the car. Sometimes bags also will fit behind the seat.

https://www.lefrecce.it/B2CWeb/search.do…

Scottsville, NY
Level Contributor
16 posts
64 reviews
4. Re: Luggage on Venice-Trieste trains

What I've found online indicates that there is more room for luggage with first-class, thus my initial reaction that they probably would make sense for us.

Since we have no experience traveling via train, and are not youngsters, I'm trying to get a handle on whether our luggage will be hard to manage. I'm certainly not buying first-class because I don't "deign to travel with the lowly masses" or anything like that. I don't mean to sound uptight, but want to make sure we don't bite off more than we can chew.

Can anyone tell me whether there are overhead bins on all the trains, including second-class? If not, where do you put the luggage? Are these trains likely to be so crowded that there would be an issue finding space? I'm sorry if these seem like stupid questions, but we have NO idea and we need to pack accordingly.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
271 posts
5. Re: Luggage on Venice-Trieste trains

I have never travelled on first class trains in Italy but many times in second class. There is always somewhere to store luggage but occasionally it can be a bit of a drama if lots of people are getting on at the same station and it takes a few minutes for things to settle down while people stash their luggage - but it always works out fine.

Trains can vary quite a lot in terms of luggage storage - some will have spacious overhead ledges, others small ones; some will have luggage racks at the end of the carriage; others space between seat rows. I've often stored luggage at the end of the carriage and never had a problem but if there is the opportunity I'll stash my bag closer to my seat. I have found that if I need more luggage capacity, that two small bags (one rolling and one day pack) works best for me. There are often steps up on to the train and so you need to be able to lift your luggage up the steps (and down again). I think the seat61.com website will show you pictures of Italian trains.

I understand your concern, but if you have luggage that is not too big and which you can lift yourself, you will be absolutely fine.

One thing to know is that reserved seating will have the carriage number on the ticket. At some stations, the carriage number of the incoming train will be described on the platform so you can be in approximately the right place on the platform when the train pulls in.

Last tip, if you buy a ticket which doesn't have reserved seating (e.g. for a regionale service) you must validate your ticket in the little validation machines on/near the platforms. Failure to do so can result in a fine. I do recommend seat61 as a great resource about trains - in lots of places.

After doing these trips, you'll wonder why you worried. I only wish we had as good a train service in my home country.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,655 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Luggage on Venice-Trieste trains

>> if you buy a ticket which doesn't have reserved seating (e.g. for a regionale service) you must validate your ticket in the little validation machines on/near the platforms<<

This is not necessary if you buy the ticket online.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
271 posts
7. Re: Luggage on Venice-Trieste trains

True but there generally isn't any advantage in buying regionale tickets online. Never done that so forgot about that. Good point.

Scottsville, NY
Level Contributor
16 posts
64 reviews
8. Re: Luggage on Venice-Trieste trains

Thank you so much—that was extremely helpful! :-)

Edited: 08 September 2018, 05:54
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
418 posts
40 reviews
9. Re: Luggage on Venice-Trieste trains

You can always find a baggage porter in every train station and have him handle your bags

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45,290 posts
10. Re: Luggage on Venice-Trieste trains

I've not seen a difference in luggage space on the reserved trains between the different classes - not sure where OP is getting that info -

OP: as you have not used trains in Italy, take a few minutes and look over this very comprehensive website which has all the info you could possible need/want about the various trains in Italy as well as photos so you can see what they look like, inside and outside of the train cars -

https://www.seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm -- well worth the time to review it so you get a grasp of what it is like

Not sure where the above poster has been that has porters easily available - they really aren't. You can book in advance if one is needed (at some, not all, train stations) but I would love to know where that poster has seen such porters being available easily

Reply to: Luggage on Venice-Trieste trains
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Trieste