We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed - places to stay, restaurants, things to see!

Tybee Island...
Level Contributor
161 posts
50 reviews
Advice needed - places to stay, restaurants, things to see!

My husband and I are travelling in October - first a week in Tuscany, followed by a week in Slovenia. On our way back to the Florence airport to return our rental car, we are planning to spend 2 nights in Trieste. Would like to stay in the center of town, preferably in a small boutique hotel or B&B. We like places with charm rather than larger more corporate properties. Doesn't have to be luxurious, but does have to be clean and with en suite bathrooms. Can you give me your suggestions?

Also looking for ideas for neat places to eat. Prefer spots frequented by locals. What are your favorites?

Have looked in guidebooks and on TA for recommended sights. Know about the main square, the canal, the castle just outside of town. But is there anything else you think is a must-see? We are particularly interested in historical and cultural places. I did read that there is a synagogue with a museum that we can visit. Any other Jewish-related sights?

Looking forward to seeing your suggestions. Thank you.

11 replies to this topic
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Nassau
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Advice needed - places to stay, restaurants, things to see!

I've always believed Trieste to be a little hidden gem of Europe. You will likely have to just park your car for two days you are there. I'll see if I can help you out a bit.

Take a look at the Hotel Roma. It's a small 3 star in the centre of town. Nothing fancy, but clean and well run.

http://www.hotelromatrieste.com/

There is a large synagogue within walking distance of the downtown. According to their website they do have tours. I only got to the outside, but you may want to see what is there. Probably one of the better Jewish oriented sights in the area would be the ghetto in Venice.

http://jewisheurope.org/detail.asp?ID=77

Hope this helps you out a bit.

Level Contributor
102 posts
73 reviews
2. Re: Advice needed - places to stay, restaurants, things to see!

In connection with the Synagogue... here is the only concentration camp in Italy: the Risiera of S. Saba... interesting but deeply sad. The site is outside the center, near the stadium.

The old town is located at the back of the main piazza with the cathedral and the castle (the castle of S.Giusto, which is not the castle of Miramare!). Another castle on the sea coast is located in Duino, a village 15 km from the center.

There are many things to visit, but they depend on your priorities.

I think that the Guinness Book of World Record's The Giant Cave (Grotta Gigante) would be a suggestive experience. The karst land (the hills above the city, where the caves are located) offers nature trails with panoramic views and typical family wineries called "osmiza".

Wherever you can go, you can go by bus or train or boat, leaving your car in the parking lot.

Around Trieste (1h by train + bus) there are 2 UNESCO sites: the Basilica of Aquileia (with a large mosaic) and Skocjan Caves, in Slovenia.

2 days are a very short time, one to visit the city (with its striking Viennese-style coffee), another to visit Miramare castle and a walk on the unique Barcola stones beach. But, maybe, next time ...

North Carolina
Level Contributor
61 posts
140 reviews
3. Re: Advice needed - places to stay, restaurants, things to see!

Stephano, you are a wealth of knowledge..have enjoyed reading your suggestions of Trieste...is that town your only area of expertise? My friend and I will have two nights there and it will be the 22nd day of a 33 day Slovenia, Croatia and Italy trip (we are driving ourselves - in and out of Munich) and by the time we get to Trieste we have only 11 days to go with the remaining time in italy...we were thinking Bologna, Montepulciano, Castellina in Chianti then back up to Verona/Lago di Garda, Bolzano and the last night near the Munich airport...do you know of guides in any of those towns or areas? As well as Trieste? thank you..

Level Contributor
102 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: Advice needed - places to stay, restaurants, things to see!

Hi Tahoe1984, Thank you!

Trieste is my family town, but now I'm living in Rome. So maybe I know almost-well the two cities, but I can suggest my favorite sites on those you had named. Bolzano and the Sudtirol region are very wonderful in the summer as in the winter. The Dolomiti Mountains , UNESCO Patrimony, are a spectacular nature panoramas. Alta Badia Val Gardena and Val di Fassa are most famous valleys. Marmolada and Tre Cime of Lavaredo are most famous mountains. The nature and villages are very well kept.

Not so far from there the Garda Lake is between Veneto and Trentino. Verona is a beautiful city, around the Lake you can visit Sirmione, Peschiera, Malcesine, and in Rovereto there is the MART a interesting museum of contemporary art.

Many things to do in Bologna and in the Chianti Region. The hills around Siena are another wonderful panorama with green grass and vines. Cellars to visit, everywhere. I don't know which is your preference, but if you travel in Italy, every village can offers to you a little or big surprise...

North Carolina
Level Contributor
61 posts
140 reviews
5. Re: Advice needed - places to stay, restaurants, things to see!

Thank you! Really looking forward to our visit!

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
58 posts
84 reviews
6. Re: Advice needed - places to stay, restaurants, things to see!

Hi Stefano,

I will be in Trieste end September for four nights but am not sure of the size of the city. Is it walkable and can you walk to most places in Trieste? You seem to know the city well and I would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations on my day trip. Thanks!

Edited: 07 August 2018, 18:47
Level Contributor
102 posts
73 reviews
7. Re: Advice needed - places to stay, restaurants, things to see!

Hi Wayne. Yes, the most places of Trieste are possible to reach by walk, I mean in the city center. But Trieste is more than the historic town, for example the best site: The Miramare Castle is 8 km far away. The Risiera museum, only italian nazi lager, is 5 km from the downtown. Opicina and the Karst are on the hill a few km from the center. The Duino Castle and Sistiana Beaches are at 15 km far away, more or less. Same thing with Muggia, old venetian town, that you can reach by boat from the seaside center (30 minutes navigation). All those things, and more if we consider also Grado and Aquileia (ancient venetian and romanic sites) and Capodistria and Piran in Slovenia - just behind the border -, it means that not everything will be visitable walking. Anywhere, the public transport are really economic and functional. When you come get a lot of information in the public office on trains, buses and boats.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
58 posts
84 reviews
8. Re: Advice needed - places to stay, restaurants, things to see!

Wow, thank you Stefano! Appreciate it.

3 posts
9. Re: Advice needed - places to stay, restaurants, things to see!

If youre looking for the tours in Slovenia and Trieste, Italy I would recommend to check out http://triestetrips.com/ as they offer tours for both destination.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
61 posts
140 reviews
10. Re: Advice needed - places to stay, restaurants, things to see!

We took the hop on hop off tour and that was enough Trieste for us...boring city...not much to do.

Sorry to say....

Reply to: Advice needed - places to stay, restaurants, things to see!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Trieste