We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

basilica queues

essex
Level Contributor
109 posts
5 reviews
basilica queues

hi going to rome for the 5th time, other times ive done the vatican with the basilica, this time with a different friend we dont want to do the vatican and I know the queues for the basilica are extremely long in itself, skip the line company's seen to start at 10.00 the basillica opens at 7am does anyone know what the queues are like between7-8 or 8-9am

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
7,065 posts
729 reviews
1. Re: basilica queues

I tend to go very early in the day or late, avoiding mid-morning … The Basilica just has the security line (no tickets required) and it usually moves fairly well. That being said, I stood in line 45 minutes one summer day when I went mid-morning, the line wasn't moving, and I headed off to explore something else.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,511 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: basilica queues

Usually first thing in the morning you won't encounter a long line. After 8ish the line builds and can be very long for the rest of the day.

Donna

A M
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
128 reviews
3. Re: basilica queues

We've just returned from Rome and visiting the Basilica. We already knew about the queues and decided to visit in the afternoon. However, we still had to queue for about an hour and this was after 2.0 pm. One of the problems we encountered was that large groups of Asian origin didn't understand the concept of queuing and regularly jumped, thus slowing the progress. They also didn't understand the concept of having phones/metal objects/wallets etc ready when going through the security scanners. Frustrating!

Edited: 09 June 2015, 18:55
Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: basilica queues

We are here now. On Sunday, mid day lines were very long. Around 4pm it started to rain, crowds emptied and we ended up walking right in, no line, around 5 pm. So my suggestion is if your schedule permits, wait until later in the evening. I believe in the summer they are open until 1900. Beautiful views from the dome, and hardly anyone to share them with.

Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: basilica queues

We are here now. On Sunday, mid day lines were very long. Around 4pm it started to rain, crowds emptied and we ended up walking right in, no line, around 5 pm. So my suggestion is if your schedule permits, wait until later in the evening. I believe in the summer they are open until 1900. Beautiful views from the dome, and hardly anyone to share them with.

Albany, New York
4 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: basilica queues

We went between 8-9 and walked right in. This, however, was in January of '15. Even so, if you doubled the size of the crowd that was there, we still would've been in within 5-10 mins.

7. Re: basilica queues

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2016, 16:18