We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Length of Easter Sunday Papal Mass & Proceedings

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Length of Easter Sunday Papal Mass & Proceedings

Hi all,

we have tickets to the Mass. Can someone give me the lowdown on how long the entire proceedings will take; what's involved, etc...

As we don't know what to expect, how early do you suggest we get there to line up in order to get in ? Any other suggestions/hints would be greatly appreciated ?

TIA

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,632 reviews
from USD 74.38*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,013 reviews
from USD 60.97*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
484 reviews
from USD 402.39*
Special Offer
Pompeii and Vesuvius – Day Trip From...
3,436 reviews
from USD 147.05*
USD 163.39
San Luis Obispo, CA
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Length of Easter Sunday Papal Mass & Proceedings

When we went 3 years ago, if I remember right, we got to St. Peter's Square around 8:45 or 9. Security went pretty smoothly and we got seats, though they were pretty far back, in front of the obelisk, though. Mass was about an hour and a half to 2 hours. We then stayed for the Pope's "Urbi et Orbi" greeting, which started around 12;15 I think (check Vatican website for exact time). This was really neat, as he gave an Easter Greeting in lots of languages and when he said it in each country's language, the people from that country would cheer. I thoug ht it was very festive.

If you want to take Communion, though, you have to be watchful and quick. There were priests under yellow umbrellas who brought Communion to the different sections. When you see one stop at your section you should line up right away. We thought they would come farther back when they finished at the front of our section, since they had been steadily moving back,but they did not and by the time we realized it, we were too late. It was still a very meaningful and moving experience. Back to times, I think we probably were leaving St. Peter's Square around 1:00.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Length of Easter Sunday Papal Mass & Proceedings

Exactly the info I was after. Thank you klworrell ! Very helpful

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Length of Easter Sunday Papal Mass & Proceedings

How did you get tickets, I keep trying the fax number on the website (390669885863) and it just rings and ring and never gets picked up by a fax.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Length of Easter Sunday Papal Mass & Proceedings

I think they turn the fax off outside office hours. Try between 9 am and 4 pm *Rome* time.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Length of Easter Sunday Papal Mass & Proceedings

Makes sense, thanks for the info.

One more question, on the website for Sunday it shows,

Sunday 8: Easter Sunday Mass at 10.15 am in St Peter’s Square

"Urbi et Orbi" Blessing at 12 noon in St Peter’s Square (no tickets required)

Are those two different things, and the first one needs tickets? Or is it one thing and no tickets required?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Length of Easter Sunday Papal Mass & Proceedings

They're two different things. If you want to be in the enclosed area and have a chance at a seat for the Mass, which lasts around 1.5 hours, you need tickets. If you don't mind standing outside the enclosed area and watching the proceedings on jumbotrons, you don't need tickets. For the blessing (maybe 15-20 minutes), you don't need tickets, but you'll stand and probably watch on jumbotrons.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Length of Easter Sunday Papal Mass & Proceedings

Can I request tickets for both the Saturday Night vigil mass and sunday morning service on same request form?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Length of Easter Sunday Papal Mass & Proceedings

" How did you get tickets, I keep trying the fax number on the website (390669885863) and it just rings and ring and never gets picked up by a fax."

Actually, you can't get tickets online to the Easter Papal Mass.

You need to request seats via a LETTER. I did it way back in early November & got a reply LETTER back within 2 weeks.

don't know if you still have time to do it now, though!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Length of Easter Sunday Papal Mass & Proceedings

Says you can fax, I will try my luck.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply