We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you drink the tap water?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
114 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Can you drink the tap water?

My mother and sister are going to Rome this weekend and my mother was wondering whether or not you can drink the water or should she buy bottled water.

Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
919 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Can you drink the tap water?

Drink tap water, yuck!

OK the good old acqua dotto (tap water) is of course perfectly safe to drink in Italy as in most first world countries (is the definition of first world a country where its safe to drink tap water?) but would you want to unless you were really thirsty and had nothing else? I have drunken bottled water for years because I like the taste of spring water (you need to pick your brands carefully) and can always detect a slight offness to tap water due to the sterilising agents and the fact it travels in miles of pipes in who knows what condition. I am also picky about my wine. Sometimes I am lucky to be in a place near to a spring (maybe Lindsay is close to one in Scotland) and thats the best of course.

But apart from my snobbishness (why not?) about drinking spring water, tap water is perfecty safe for brushing teeth and washing the bod, even for drinking if you run out of your bottle in the middle of the night. As for restaurants, well I suppose you could ask for a glass of acqua dotto, I am sure they would bring it to you (with strange mutterings), I for one am not big on drinking water with my meal.

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Can you drink the tap water?

I think drinking mineral water is a national mania. Every region has more than one and we can see Southerners drinking mineral botlled waters form North Italy and the opposite. So trucks can go up and down the "boot" night and day. We must be crazy in many ways. Rome's water is safe and healthy. Full of calcium so u shouldn't drink it only if u suffer of kidney stones, u know what I mean.

ciao must go

coxs creek, kentucky
Level Contributor
4,310 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Can you drink the tap water?

I agree with stettola ! The whole craze of drinking bottled water has ballooned to the extreme. I don't like the taste of my water where I live, but if I fill a pitcher and put it in the refrigerator, it is great ! I know it is safe and we get semi-annual reports showing the exact contents. When I was in Italy, I never tasted bad water-lucky again ?? I much prefer a glass of wine with my meals in Italy ; my husband does not drink so he ordered bottled water-no gas ; my 17 year old son is "alas!!!" a coke freak and was very happy to learn that the coke is even better there than here. My hubby did not try to order tap water (ricksteves phrase book, I think called it Acqua Rubinetto?) but I am not sure why as he does not drink bottled water here --ever. But he did drink from the fountains. I have never understood this whole bottled water thing- just another way for some people to make a lot of money for nothing. There may be places that do not have good water, but I have never been there. The old fridge trick has always solved my problems. Nothing however goes better with Italian food than good Italian wine ! I will drink to that !!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Can you drink the tap water?

Tap water is fine. Of course, use common sense -- if the tap water is running cloudy (which it does sometimes out of the public drinking fountains), don't drink it. But generally speaking if the water is clear, it's ok to drink! Have a wonderful trip!

Massachusetts/Vatica...
Level Contributor
581 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Can you drink the tap water?

Yes, the tap water is fine.

lol about the milk and color tv. :-)

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Can you drink the tap water?

The tap water in Rome tasted fine to me, but I suppose it depends on what you're used to. To me, London water tastes of nothing while the water in parts of the west of England tastes vile. Wasn't too keen on the water in Naples / Sorrento / Amalfi Coast area either. Not saying it wasn't fit to drink, just that it obviously had a very different mineral / chemical content to what I'm used to.

It's fine. Just remember that even 'drinkable' water, if it has a markedly different mineral / chemical composition to your water at home, can upset your tummy a bit at first (that can be true of bottled water too, though)

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Can you drink the tap water?

I feel I have to add somethg: I drank tap water everywhere I went in Italy but for Ladispoli's. It is a seaside town 40 kms north of Rome (in laws' summer flat). I don't like the taste of tap water there (safe and potable) so I drink mineral bottled water. OK I confessed, lol.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,136 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Can you drink the tap water?

Hi

I drank the tap water in Rome and I also filled up my water bottle on various drinking fountains around Rome. It is not the best water I have ever tasted but it was totally OK to drink in the summer heat of Rome :-)

Regards

Gard

gardkarlsen@hotmail.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,002 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Can you drink the tap water?

I agree with Witty (I usually do because she is Rome-mad, like me.) Someone, somewhere is making a lot of money out of the bottled water craze-just wish it was me. I prefer to spend my money on Barolo.! Tabby

20. Re: Can you drink the tap water?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 16:20