We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wearing money belt

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Wearing money belt

I was advised to wear a money belt containing passport, cash and credit card all day in Europe, especially Rome and Paris. I plan to leave my passport in the hotel safe, to put small amount of cash in a small purse inside a big handbag (with zipper), to put the rest of cash and credit cards in the money belt. Is that a good idea? I don't like to wear the money belt all day long, but I heard that the pickpocketers can cut your bag to get the money.Please advise. Thanks.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,306 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wearing money belt

I leave everything but one credit card and walking around money in the hotel safe -- or at the apartment if I am renting. a money belt for me is a body safe used in transit when I have all the valuables and need to have them on me.

you are unlikely to lose anything if you have a purse you can use cross body and hold it under your arm to the front in crowded places -- it is rare that anyone would cut a bag -- simple pick pocketing is common and a crime of opportunity and carelessness -- people who pay attention rarely are victims

just make sure you don't have things available to pick -- and then don't worry about it

san mateo, ca
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wearing money belt

I used a handbag that I could wear across my chest and only took a credit card and some cash putting it in the most inner zip pocket near my body...Use caution when in large crowds where there is pushing, , lines, buses and trams- I went everywhere this way and was fine; but I was also on alert as I rode a lot of public transit...

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wearing money belt

Leave your purse on your lap when dining, especially out of doors. Leave your expensive jewelry at home, so you'll have nothing to worry about. Inform yourself about the usual ways to pick your pocket, especially on a crowded escalator (there's drama!), little old ladies falling down, and people dropping things at your feet, or coming up to have you look at a clipboard.

I do all these things at home, so perhaps you do too.

Now go out there and have a great time!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,945 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wearing money belt

The passport was to big and stiff for the money belt, so I only carry a photocopy of my passport in the money belt. I wear the money belt with my cash and credit cards all day long while I am out swhen I visit Italy. I take it off in my apt or hotel room.

albuquerque
Level Contributor
1,002 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wearing money belt

Once I'm in my hotel I use the room safe for my valuables & passport and don't wear the money belt again unless I'm changing cities and need to carry everything with me.

As the posters above have said it's good to carry only a small amount of cash with you and one credit card when you are out and about. A small cross body bag works great . Baggallini makes several and they have inner zipped pockets that work well.

Use normal caution, ramp that up when in a crowd, and you should be just fine.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,945 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wearing money belt

Public transport gets crowded. It is hard to be vigilant 100% of the time. Unless you are going to walk or take taxis everywhere, I really recommend wearing the money belt. Metro cars and buse can unexpectedly be very crowded where you have stand right next to a stranger and there is no space to move away.

Edited: 30 August 2012, 14:23
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,831 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wearing money belt

The advice you received is your best option.

Carrying your passport with you at all times isn’t arbitrary or a matter of opinion – The law stipulates that you always carry the actual passport (not a copy) with you.

passport vs. copy of passport for ID:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k55616…

And hotel safes are not so safe!

gadling.com/2011/…

Hiding valuables in your hotel room:

gadling.com/2010/…

Vagabonda

Westford...
Level Contributor
155 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wearing money belt

I carry my documents, cards, etc., in a money pouch designed to be worn around the neck. I wear it cross-body, with the pouch itself riding on my hip and tucked into my most interior layer of clothing (oh, all right, my undies) ... Where no one other than I has ever tried to access it! For me, this is extremely comfortable. Also for me, it is preferable to leaving anything in my hotel room, whether or not there is a safe available. For easy access during the day, I carry one credit card and a small amount of money zipped into a Pacsafe bag also worn across body.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wearing money belt

The to bring your passport with or leave it in a hotel safe question has been brought up many times before. It's all up to you and your personal preference.

Legally, you are required to have your passport with you at all times. Not a photocopy. The actual thing.

Yes, I have heard stories of girls from the university in my town who were leaning too far over into trevi fountain who were reprimanded by a policeman who demanded to see their passports. He scoffed at them when they only had a photocopy and a US drivers license. "No good" he told them as he threatened to take them to the police station. (he didn't though - probably just scaring them).

I always use a money belt. It's comfortable. I have no problem with them. I keep my passport, a bank card, and cash in there. Back at the hotel I keep other cards/money in the hotel safe.

Plenty of others would never think of brining their passport with them. It's all up to you.

Personally, I enjoy the Eagle Creek Money Belt. It looks similar to this one from "incognito" :

magellans.com/store/Small_Bags___Wallets___W…

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,831 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Wearing money belt

It’s really not all up to you and your personal preference – The law is very clear.

It’s up to you to disregard and violate the law, but hopefully you would respect the law.

Vagabonda