We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Curfew in Rome - will I regret it?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chennai
Level Contributor
579 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Curfew in Rome - will I regret it?

Hi friends,

The place i and hubby are staying in Celio has a 11:30pm curfew. We love the location, so we really don't want to change the stay... But will I regret the curfew? How is late night Rome? We are in our 30s, not really into partying, but prefer an evening movie or a late night dinner in a local neighbourhood.

We are in Rome for three nights.

R

Edited: 11 April 2012, 07:59
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Curfew in Rome - will I regret it?

I think only you can answer that question. I assume you're staying in a convent. If so, don't even dream of coming back later than the curfew. The nuns have to get up very early for prayers and it would be inconsiderate in the extreme to make them wait up later than that for late arrivals. If you think it's going to be difficult to get back that late, change to a hotel.

sydney
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Curfew in Rome - will I regret it?

It shouldn't be a problem at all, unless you are a pair of party animals! Try and keep your latest reservation for dinner to around 9 pm to avoid being late home.

To get a lovely feeling for Rome at night, plan an evening in Piazza Navona. Have a cocktail or two or a lovely tartufo at Bar Scalini and watch the world go by. You could do the same thing in Campo di Fiori. You don't have to be out late to enjoy the buzz of the city at night.

Have fun!

Francoise

Excusemewhereis.blogspot.com

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,176 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Curfew in Rome - will I regret it?

I don't think I have ever been out on the streets in Rome much after 10:30 pm. By 10pm I am beat from walking around all day.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Curfew in Rome - will I regret it?

Do you need to think about what time that means leaving wherever you'd dine?

Unless limiting yourselves to places within walking distance, or taxi-ing, with a guess at a 30 minute journey by late evening public transport, you'd want to be calling for the bill by about 10.45?

Different for lone travellers, perhaps, but the first thing I'd say to my wife, if she'd made such an arrangement, would be that even Cinderella got to stay out later!

Peter

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
5 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Curfew in Rome - will I regret it?

My advice would be: start your sightseeing/activities early in the morning, enjoy walking around the historical center, get exhausted, book a restaurant for 19:30 (few real italian places accepts bookings before that time), have a drink on your way back to your place: Treefolk's (Via Capo D'Africa 29 - good craft beers), Coming out (Via S.Giovanni in Laterano 8, on Rome's small gay-street) or simple dine and drink wine in the "Taverna dei Quaranta" (http://www.tavernadeiquaranta.com/) or at the "Trattoria Luzzi" (Via di san giovanni in laterano, 88), in case you go at "Luzzi's" remember that they have touristy dishes (bolognese,lasagne...) and truly 100% roman dishes. Ask the waiter for the roman dishes ("per favore, no roba da turisti"+smile). Their translated menu is always a source of innocent merryment,

Edited: 11 April 2012, 21:05
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Curfew in Rome - will I regret it?

I've never seen any restaurants on the Celio, and on the hill itself, there are no buses. (There are plentiful buses along Via di San Gregorio and other streets at the foot of the hill.) I think that means a taxi after dinner would be the best way to get back.

I agree with Peter. Dinner in Rome gets underway on the late side, and is a leisurely affair. You said you like late dinners; that sounds as though you might find it constraining. If not, you should eat at 7:30, as dms suggests, when you may be the only diners in the restaurant.

I would never tell a waiter I don't want "roba da turisti" (tourist stuff). They probably consider that they sell food, not stuff, and could very well take it as an insult, and you would be getting off on the wrong foot. You can see the menu and decide for yourself what's roba da turisti. Read up on what are traditional Roman dishes are, and don't order things that are "foreign".

If you're not sure, tell the waiter you'd like a typical Roman dish. In restaurants, the waiters almost always understand as much English as that.

niagara
Level Contributor
444 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Curfew in Rome - will I regret it?

We've stayed at 2 convents in Rome previously and had 11:00pm curfews. We thought it might be a problem but we were so exhausted from sight-seeing all day we were back in our room for 11:00pm anyway. Only one night were we 5 mins. late and this didn't impress the nuns one bit, lol!

On our more recent trips to Rome, we pace ourselves a bit better and stay up later as we're not so exhausted. Rome has great night-life and we wouldn't miss it for anything but funnily, we're still back at our room for 11:00-11:30pm!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,414 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Curfew in Rome - will I regret it?

I'm generally back in my room before 11 as well, but I've never claimed to enjoy late dinners.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,072 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Curfew in Rome - will I regret it?

Personally, I would not want a curfew. We are typically not night owls, but would hate the deadline of having to get back, especially if we were enjoying ourselves somewhere.

Just our thought...

Enjoy!

Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Curfew in Rome - will I regret it?

I'm not a night owl either but, I would hate to have the constraint of a curfew. It could well dictate where and when you have dinner and how you spend the evening.

After you leave the restaurant, rather than hurrying back, you might feel like a leisurely stroll. Maybe taking time to explore a fountain or little square that could have taken your fancy.

I would dislike having to keep looking at my watch, I am much older than you are but, I still like to be spontaneous.