We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anzio/Nettuno day trip

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
Save Topic
Anzio/Nettuno day trip

I've searched the forum for info on this day trip and after reading many, many posts ( including btgm's) I still have questions :-(

We will be going in late May ( we are in Rome from May 20 through May 27).

When we purchase our train tickets at Termini, do we buy two one-way tickets ( there are 2 of us) to Nettuno ( which, I understand is the last stop), get off to explore the war museum/cemetery, then go to Anzio, visit the museum there and then buy two one-way tickets back to Rome Termini at Anzio station?

What is the best way to get to Anzio from Nettuno - on foot, by bus or by train? If bus, which bus do we take?

We are going for the WW2 sites, not the beach. How long will it take at each place ( although we will probably linger at both)?

Please give us some recommendations for lunch/snacks at each of these places.

What will the weather be like then( since it is the coast,I'm thinking we should take along some warm clothing for later in the day)?

Grazie!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anzio/Nettuno day trip

I can't answer all your questions, but here is a start, and maybe someone else will finish it.

When you get tickets for two people, you really get one ticket that has the number of people written on it. These are regional trains, with no reserved seats. You have to punch these tickets in a machine next to the track before boarding the train, and from that time the ticket can be used on any train, stopevers included, as long as the trip is completed within six hours.

This means you could buy a ticket to Nettuno, get off at Anzio, spend a little more than four and a half hours there, then get on a train to Nettuno. If you decide to spend more time in Anzio, just let the ticket expire and buy a new ticket to Nettuno. The tickets to Anzio or Nettuno both cost €3.20, so you have nothing to lose by doing this. A ticket from Anzio to Nettuno is €1.

You can see schedules here:

trenitalia.com/homepage_en.htmlhttp://www.tr…

You have to use a date within the next week to see the prices.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anzio/Nettuno day trip

I said that the ticket could be used on any train. I should have said, "Any train on the route." And I should have emphasized that this is only true of regional trains, which have no reserved seats.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anzio/Nettuno day trip

bvlenci: Thank you so much for being so clear and precise. I had no idea that regional train tickets have the number of people written down on one ticket. Does this mean that for our trip to Ostia Antica too, we will get one ticket for the 2 of us from Rome to Ostia? I understand there are no 'round trip tickets' - that we have to purchase return tickets on our way back to Rome, correct?

Also, we do not have to book in advance, correct? Do you suggest we buy tickets the day before our trip ( if we can, that is) or can we just buy them the same day? We want to take an early train so we have lots of time to spend in Anzio and Nettuno.

Are regional trains on a different level at Termini station from the long-distance ones?( I do ask silly questions, don't I?)

Grazie again - you are a big help!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anzio/Nettuno day trip

You can buy tickets for a round trip at the same time; it's just that they're separate tickets, and the price is always the same as for two single trips (except for some promotional fares on the fast trains). I prefer to buy both tickets at the same time so that I don't have to worry about unmanned stations or broken ticket machines on the return trip. There's no need to buy the tickets in advance, but you can certainly do so if it's convenient.

All the trains leave from the same level of the station. It's not a silly question.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anzio/Nettuno day trip

"I prefer to buy both tickets at the same time so that I don't have to worry about unmanned stations or broken ticket machines on the return trip" Excellent point!

Thank you, bvlenci - for being kind and thoughtful.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anzio/Nettuno day trip

Re the second part of your question: As you probably know there is the big US Memorial Cemetery at Nettuno and two British ones at Anzio. At Nettuno you could spend a good deal of time (see the reviews on TA if you've not already done so. One is mine). The site is truly inspiring. The two British ones are smaller but unfortunately quite a distance apart. One is next to the Anzio town cemetery and easy to spot. The other is along the road leading out towards Aprilia and back to Rome. You may need a taxi. Nettuno is usually manned by US military personnel. They could perhaps find you a taxi to go to both Anzio sites and then take you back to the station. I'd try to avoid local buses for such a short visit.

I'm so pleased that people still think to visit these sites. "Lest we forget".

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Anzio/Nettuno day trip

Expat46: I did read your review some time ago when I was researching Anzio/Nettuno but your name was not familiar to me then - although your review is fresh in my mind!

Thanks for the information - perhaps we should visit Nettuno first and then go on to Anzio - that way, the military personnel at Nettuno could give us some tips for Anzio, and as you said, perhaps help us get a taxi. Do you know how much a taxi would cost?

*Never* should they be forgotten.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Anzio/Nettuno day trip

Yes, I'd do Nettuno first.You'll need the most time there anyway. Don't know about taxi rates but I'll try to find out.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Anzio/Nettuno day trip

When you say in your OP <not the beach> I assume you mean not for swimming or sunbathing. But if you have time, do go down to the port at Anzio, walk out along the quay as far as you can and looking southwards you'll see the whole stretch of the WW2 landing beaches all the way back to Nettuno. There are also lots of fish restaurants in the quay area if you are thinking of lunching there. They are not cheap and have mixed reviews on TA so I won't try to influence you.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Anzio/Nettuno day trip

Exactly what we'd like to do, Expat46 - thanks a lot.

I'm a vegetarian but my other half loves seafood, so grazie for the restaurant tip :-)

(Yes, I meant no swimming or sunbathing - sorry for not being clear).