We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sights with extra-long queues

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chelmsford
2 posts
Save Topic
Sights with extra-long queues

Hi everyone,

Great forum here with some great information from people, I've learnt a lot in advance of my trip. I'm doing four days in Rome from this Saturday, and as I'm travelling alone I'm trying to cram as many sights in as possible to keep me entertained :)

I've read a lot about some long queuing times in Rome, and while I don't mind a bit of a queue (an hour ish) I'd rather not spend half a day in one.

Therefore, can anyone tell me the sights that have notoriously long queues? I know the Vatican museum can involve a 3 hour queue so I'll definitely be pre-booking that to skip it; however are there any other notable ones that I should pre-book for at this time of year to avoid a long queue?

Thanks.

Waterbury...
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sights with extra-long queues

The Colosseum can sometimes have long lines to get in, but I'm not completely sure that that's the case this time of year. If you want to be certain to avoid any possibility of long lines, you can prebook your tickets here:

http://www.pierreci.it/home-page/en.aspx

Chelmsford
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sights with extra-long queues

Thanks for the advice! :)

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sights with extra-long queues

I would always, all year, book the Vatican Museum in advance if I wanted to go in the morning. If I were to go in mid-afternoon, I wouldn't book in the low season, which is roughly November 3rd through Palm Sunday, leaving out December 26th through January 6th. At other times of the year, I'd book always.

For the Colosseum, I might book in high season, but I might not. You can usually get tickets without a long wait either at the Roman Forum or the Palatine Hill entrances. The ticket covers all three sites. I find the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill much more interesting than the Colosseum, so if I were buying tickets, my main purpose would be to visit those two sites, and I've never had a long wait at either site.

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
10,763 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sights with extra-long queues

You can simply avoid queues going to some of the numerous less crowded sites. Queues are usually just at the Vatican Museum, at the Colosseum and at the Mouth of the Truth; but Rome is not just that, there are plenty of other places worth to see but totally ignored by most tourists.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sights with extra-long queues

Aristofane is correct. There are many museums in Rome that have world class collections, and hardly anybody ever sees them.

My daughter, granddaughter, and I went to the Corsini Gallery on a weekend in August and literally no one was there besides us. There wasn't even anyone at the ticket window. The place was so dead that the young woman selling tickets had taken a little break without calling a substitute. We called out "C'è qualcuno?" and she came running. This is a museum with works by il Beato Angelico (known in English as Fra Angelico), Caravaggio, Rubens, Gentilleschi, Murillo, and Van Dyck. In any other country it would have lines around the block and cost a fortune, but it's only 5 euros for adults (children free).

Its sister museum, the Barberini Gallery, is larger, has an even greater collection and more visitors, but it also has no line at all, even at the height of high season. It also costs only 5 euros.

Everyone is shuffling through the Vatican Museums shoulder to shoulder, because they heard somewhere that they "HAD to see it". Many of them don't give two figs for art. Why do they do this to themselves?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sights with extra-long queues

IMO it's definitely worth booking online in advance for Colosseum & Vatican museum. The queue at Colosseum 10 days ago when I was there was really long, and most of it in the sun (although I think the weather has cooled a bit now). We breezed right past it.

7. Re: Sights with extra-long queues

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 13:18