We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Airlines

Missouri
Level Contributor
22 posts
21 reviews
6 helpful votes
American Airlines

Can anyone tell me how American Airline is as a choice for flying to Rome?

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
35 reviews
26 helpful votes
1. Re: American Airlines

We used them last year. Made it there and back in one piece. Had major issue with delayed flight (st louis to chicago) which we thought caused us to miss our flight to Rome. We landed 2 1/2 hours late in Chicago--the attendants actually told us we had missed our flight to Rome. Turned out, it was still at the gate, waiting for a whole bunch of us. Pretty poor communicating. But the flights and what-not were OK.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
10 reviews
20 helpful votes
2. Re: American Airlines

I've been flying AA to Europe, to Rome a few times.

In the past few years, I've noticed that very often flights are delayed by up to 3 hours,(not due to weather) or cancelled.

I can't complain much, because I'm a FF of AA, and I get free upgrades and flights. I take the delays and cancellations as part and parcel of flying.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
37 posts
22 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: American Airlines

We too flew with AA last year to Rome. Flight over was fine and on time. The return flight was during the "volcanic ash cloud" which shut down much of Europe's airspace. We were one of the first flights to leave after restrictions were lifted. Unfortunately the flight was about three hours longer due to a change in flight path to avoid the ash, which included an unscheduled stop in NYC for refueling before landing down in Chicago. None of this was obviously AA fault, but I was very pleased with how they handled it. The attendants had an extra meal prepared for us and made a lot of rounds to refill drinks, etc. We obviously missed our connecting flight out of Chicago, but the desk staff did a pretty good job getting everyone rescheduled and we made it home that night.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
10 reviews
20 helpful votes
4. Re: American Airlines

Romagnome, you were lucky, that the plane was waiting for you.

Once the SFO flight was delayed, and when we arrived at JFK, about 13 of us, the plane was still there, but the gate closed, and the attendant refused to open the gate for us, even though a few of us had only carry-on. The reason given was - cabin pressure has been adjusted. ??

I arrived in my final destination 8 hours later.

On a recent flight, again delayed, but AA was anxious to put us on our next flights. We were given "express pass" to go through passport control. I guess a night in JFK for 30 people would cost the airline mega bucks, that was why all connecting planes were waiting for us.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
10 reviews
20 helpful votes
5. Re: American Airlines

On a lighter side, I thought the way we speed through security was comical. The rate we removed our shoes and belts,etc, while the rest of the line moved apart and let us through. Never felt so important.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
35 reviews
26 helpful votes
6. Re: American Airlines

Oh, vteotl, you should have seen us running through the airport. I am not "fit"--I'm sure I presented a comical sight, dragging my carry-on, huffing and puffing all the while saying "I'm dying, here". Fortunately, we were travelling with runners--I told them to save the plane for us. AA did not admit to holding the plane for us, said it was mechanical issues, but miraculously after about 15 to 20 extra passengers arrived, boarding was initiated. :)

Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
61 reviews
33 helpful votes
7. Re: American Airlines

Glad you made it! I can relate to running through the airport huffing and puffing and rushing for a connection.

We flew AA to Rome in 2008. Everything went well. On our return flight I was concerned about being over the weight limit on baggage, but they just loaded my suitcase and pushed it through. (That may not happen again.) It seemed well organized; they had a number of lines and everything was moving.

Flew to Europe last year on BA, and we had major problems and had to be re-routed through Chicago because of the strike. I think that's still a potential issue for them.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
302 posts
22 reviews
8 helpful votes
8. Re: American Airlines

Flew AA from Boston to Rome via JFK a few weeks ago. Delayed leaving JFK over an hour due to thunder storm. Food was unedible going to Rome. As we used FF miles had to fly back to Boston via Chicago. Food was excellent on flight from Rome to Chicago.

9. Re: American Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 02:21