We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alitalia Airlines

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
167 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Alitalia Airlines

We were recently put on an Alitalia flight from Rome to Toronto because our early morning flight was canceled due to the ash cloud.

FYI, if you can avoid flying this airline, I recommend you do. The plane was old and dirty and the staff rude.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,279 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alitalia Airlines

Sounds just like every American airline I have ever used.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
787 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alitalia Airlines

Agree ... best avoided for long haul flights. Had to use them in the past only because they code shared with our preferred airline with whom we collected airmiles. We got so fed up with the abysmal service and rudeness that we switched airlines completely - now its a joy to be able to fly to Europe without having the dreadful "Alitalia leg" to endure.

Have flown on intra-Europe flights with them and the service is better.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alitalia Airlines

I wouldn't avoid Alitalia. My "miles" are on their partner, Delta, and I fly Alitalia if the schedule is more convenient.

In general, I haven't had a problem, but this time (May 6 to New York - AZ 610) I had to go to the rear galley to ask for a cup of water. The staff seemed busy with conversation. I waited to get someone's attention. Finally, an attendant noticed me, walked up, and closed the curtains on me quickly, about one inch from my face.

I didn't get our water, and there was no water service for the passengers for the remainder of this nine-hour flight, until the final meal service.

This was not well done by Alitalia. I pushed the "attendant" button. No response. Maybe this was just an exception.

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alitalia Airlines

I'm just back from Chicago. I flew with Alitalia direct flight. It was a very good experience.

I must add that two years ago I did the same round trip and the plane was old but the crew and service very nice.

My personal list for long distance flights: #1 Air France, #2 Alitalia, #3 Iberia, #Delta and United

Somewhere
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Alitalia Airlines

Pharmdoc, totally agree. We flew with them last week and the outward aircraft had torn seats and over one set of seats the lighting controls were hanging by its wires!!

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
183 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alitalia Airlines

Alitalia is a ridiculous air carrier (at least compared to most european carriers). old planes, disservice, etc. BUT said that.

I would rather fly Alitalia than use ANY carrier from the USA. the worst in the world is probably continental. their level of service is non existent. the flight attendants are rude, arrogant and unpleasant - their 'meals' served are a bad joke. flying to the USA or through the USA is a nightmare itself, made even worse by the american airline-companies.

having to chose between typhus and cholera (alitalia or any american airline) i would opt for Alitalia. at least you get free wine.

Edited: 19 May 2010, 21:20
NYC baby!
Level Contributor
379 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alitalia Airlines

I haven't flown Alitalia in years, but now I'm nervous as we're flying it outbound to Rome from NYC at the end of July--we're flying Delta back from Venice. While I agree that decent service and attention and being able to get water are significant, I think my bottom line is that if the plane takes off, flies, and lands safely at the destination, then it is a successful flight.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Alitalia Airlines

No worries. No worries... it will be fine. I find that our own attitude helps a lot... and the luck of which crew is working that flight. But like you said... as long as you get there relatively quickly.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alitalia Airlines

Just want to put in a good word for Continental. I've always used them for trans-Atlantic flights and was very satisfied.(I'm a cranky old lady!) But, this said, I have always flown Business First and not coach - thanks to FF miles. I would NOT fly coach - too old, too fat - even if it means putting off my trip until I can save enough $$$ to pay the additional cost.

PS I'm not a Continental employee nor are any members of my family nor my friends.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
183 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alitalia Airlines

there is a SIGNIFICANT difference between continental business and continental coach. their policy is: coach are 'parias' who deserved to be treated as cattle.