We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which seaside town close to rome is nicest?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
helsinki
3 posts
Save Topic
which seaside town close to rome is nicest?

Everyone who's been to anzio, nettuno or the amalfi coast, ie. sorrento, which of these would you recommend to spend a few days in in june?? I'm going to stay in rome for 4 days, and after that I have som spare days before heading back from Rome, and would like to know if it's worth travelling all the way to the amalfi coast, or if Anzio/Nettuno are good for a traveller who's looking for some authentic Italian culture, a nice beach, some shopping and perhaps historic sites. Would love your advise!

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which seaside town close to rome is nicest?

I will be travelling to Anzio/Nettuno in late July. From what I have read the Amalfi coast is beautiful. If I had the time thats where I would go. I will only be in Rome for 5 days though so we have decided to go to Anzio/Nettuno on a day trip since it is much closer. Interested to see what others have to say.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which seaside town close to rome is nicest?

How far is Anzio/Nettuno from Rome? What is the best method of transportation to go and return in a day?

tampa fl
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: which seaside town close to rome is nicest?

Anzio/Nettuno area is 30km.Trains service hourly.-CD

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which seaside town close to rome is nicest?

Sunbound ... Anzio/Nettuno is about 50 minutes on the train from Roma Termini to Nettuno (last stop) & Anzio is the second last stop. Best to take the train it is about 3,20 euro for standard ticket. Trains run from 0500 to near midnight.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which seaside town close to rome is nicest?

If you have a few spare days consider the amalfi coast as the amalfi coast is further away 3-4 hours and if you hired a car and discovered the area you would enjoy yourselves... it is scenic, unique and beautiful. It is very hard to compare the amalfi coast to anzio/nettuno as they are very different destinations. Anzio/nettuno are coastal towns to rome were many residents live and commute to central rome daily (or work in the area)...the towns are flat and dont have the cliff top towns. However it would be a more economical way to spend a few days by the beach with good food (especially seafood in anzio) and visitng some history of the area. The focus of both anzio/nettuno are the marina/esplanade areas... hope this helps

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
127 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which seaside town close to rome is nicest?

Does Anzio have white sand beaches and is it kid friendly?

Arlington,VA
Level Contributor
169 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which seaside town close to rome is nicest?

Go to Anzio, this way you can also visit the Anzio War Cemetery and Beach Head War Cemetery which are often overlooked.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which seaside town close to rome is nicest?

Sunbound... no white sand to be found along the coastline.. it is a yellow/brown colour that you'll find on majority of Italian sand beaches. The advantage of these beaches with establishments is that they are kept clean as opposed to the undeveloped ones. Anzio and Nettuno beaches are children friendly. During the summer as that is where locals get season tickets for chairs/umbrellas and reside at the beach during the summer in the fixed position. Those who have a second house in Anzio/Nettuno area normally come for the summer months with the children to be by the sea. Nettuno is more compact than Anzio so if you are on foot more things are closer.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which seaside town close to rome is nicest?

corp4ever.. you are right these sites do get forgotten...

Here are the links for those who might be interested:

http://www.sbarcodianzio.it/index.htm (anzio beachhead musuem)

www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries/sr.php (American War Cemetery) located Nettuno/Anzio border.

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which seaside town close to rome is nicest?

If you are going to enjoy some time at the beach and to enjoy the marina (love boats) which is the best town for a day trip Anzio or Nettuno? So many decisions to make, it's hard to make them without feedback at this point!