We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Third time to Rome: new things to see suggestions?!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
75 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Third time to Rome: new things to see suggestions?!

Hi,

I am organizing a family trip to Italy, all adults, and we are a mix of first time visitors to myself, a third time visitor. I am doing well helping to plan the "usual" sites for the first time group but would love some advice for my own time there! Details:

Traveling in June, Iwill be in Rome 3.5 days before heading to Amalfi (4 days, including a trip to Capri and a trip to pompeii) then 3 days in Florence and then I leave the group and join a friend in Barcelona for a few days...

Anyway, I have been to many of the major sites once, in some cases twice, already - I have already booked the Scavi tour for this trip, which is new for me, and I plan on visiting the baths (have not been) and the Villa Borghese which I have not been to yet. Otherwise I'm looking for the less well traveled museums/churches in Rome to visit this time:-)

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

Caroline

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Third time to Rome: new things to see suggestions?!

I am not where you have been to before, so here are my recommendations. Two of the less visited places that I like are San Paolo Fuori La Mura and Palazzo Doria Pamphili. The former is one of Rome's major basilicas and is near San Paolo metro station. It has pictures of every pope along the inside walls. Palazzo Doria Pamphili is a a palazzo with a wonderful art collection. This palazzo is still lived in by its owners.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,456 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Third time to Rome: new things to see suggestions?!

Palazzo Valentini exhibit, walking on the glass floor, above the excavations, is a little disconcerning at first. The exhibit also includes virtuals so you can see what the excavations originally looked like, English tour at 1:15, book ahead (I got my ticket that morning).

www.palazzovalentini.it/scavi.php?lang=eng

In the Rome Forums, type "hidden gems" in the search bar for some more ideas. The Palazzo Doria Pamphili is a good one.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,101 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Third time to Rome: new things to see suggestions?!

With that size group seriously consider a professional guide for the Forum/Palatine. We used Daniella from Mirabilia Urbis tours. She made the flow of history come alive out of the ruins. Marvellous!

rome-tours.com/

Our last trip to Rome encompassed many of the things we wanted to "fill in" so some info on our blog here

…blogspot.com/2009/09/into-rome-and-final-we…

4. Re: Third time to Rome: new things to see suggestions?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2013, 19:23