We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best day trip from Rome with small kids?

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best day trip from Rome with small kids?

Hi-we have a 4 day stay in Rome and I'm wondering if that allows us time for a day trip outside of Rome and if so, what you all think would be the best one to do? I've heard several people recommend Pompeii and that definitely sounds interesting. If that is your suggestion I have 2 questions: 1) Is it doable to do the slow train 1-wqy so we can see some of the coastline and still get back to Rome by evening? 2) Do you suggest hiring a guide?

Other then Pompeii...what else is there? My husband would love to see the coast either while we are in Rome or when we go up to Florence. His idea of a perfect day is exploring an old fishing village and eating at an outdoor café soaking in the ambience.

Thank you!

Special Offer
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP...
62 Reviews
from USD 376.00*
USD 537.10
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
24,159 Reviews
from USD 74.20*
Best Seller
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,139 Reviews
from USD 58.60*
4 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
12,543 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best day trip from Rome with small kids?

well....with small kids perhaps head over to Ostia Antica instead of Pompeii....i believe it's a bit smaller and i know it's easier to get to. Pompeii is vast and there isn't any shade...Pompeii will be more interesting of course but I think you are just wanting a more 'expansive activity', yes?

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

https:/…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18779…

When in Florence, if you have extra time, head over to pretty Lucca for the day....there is a gorgeous ramparts that encircles the historic town where everyone strolls and/or rides bicycles amongst the trees and grass (you can rent)...good food, wonderful architecture and history, famous towers to climb, pretty cathedrals and piazzas, a sweet botanical garden, winding streets....read up in your guidebook! Easy 1.5 hour bus or train ride from Florence. Go early, stay all day, have dinner, head back to Florence.

Sun Valley, Idaho
Level Contributor
234 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best day trip from Rome with small kids?

Another option to consider as a day trip for the kids out of Rome might be Orvieto. About 1.5 hours on the train or so out of Roma Termini. A train ride is always fun for kids. Then when you get off the train (Orvieto station is tiny), you walk across the street and you can ride the cable car up the hill to the town, again which is great fun for kids. Orvieto is medieval and small/walkable, with an intimate feel. Cool duomo, bell tower, a Franciscan well you can descend or take the underground Orvieto tour. Have lunch, gelato, explore, come home on train.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best day trip from Rome with small kids?

How small are your kids? If they are younger than 9 or so, I would not recommend Pompeii. My 7 year old was quite bored, suffering his way through our guided tour as it droned on. I would look into a beach town closer to Rome, instead.

Edited: 09 May 2018, 12:16
Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
798 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best day trip from Rome with small kids?

What are the ages of the children? That will help with responses.

Reply to: What is the best day trip from Rome with small kids?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted