We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Naples dangerous?

Which Naples hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Salford
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Is Naples dangerous?

We visted Sorrento in April and loved it, we want to go back to Italy and possibly stay in Naples. The only thing putting us off is when we were in Sorrento our tour guide told us that Naples was not a very nice city and was dangerous for tourists, has anyone had any bad experiences?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,001 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Naples dangerous?

There are so many threads bringing up this, it just is not true, it is a chaotic and vibrant City, you dont flaunt jewelery etc, you have to be aware, but no more than any other big City,

It is wrong that Tour guides do this, they have been doing in for years, when ever we have been to Sorrento in the past we have always spent one day in Naples,

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Naples dangerous?

I would say that we never felt unsafe in Naples, but you want to be careful as you would in any city. I carry a larger DSLR camera and my husband thought my camera got more looks in Naples than anywhere else. I alway keep a good hold on my camera though and have never had any problems with it. With Naples you probably want to take more care about not wearing flashy jewelry.

3. Re: Is Naples dangerous?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 July 2010, 01:22
Bradford
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Naples dangerous?

Just be careful on the buses - soeone tried to get stuff out of my rucksack but I caught him and there was nothing valuable in there anyway

5. Re: Is Naples dangerous?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 July 2010, 01:23
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,001 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Naples dangerous?

That's right NNaples is not like Sorrento, I dont think tour operators do try to compare it, Sorrento is a Town with caters for tourism, Naples is a living City, and it really has a lot to offer,

Level Contributor
745 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Naples dangerous?

I stayed in Naples for 2 weeks in 2008. I was staying very near to the central station, widely acknowledged as the most 'dodgy area' (I stayed there for the ease of access to all transport), and can honestly say that I had no problems, and never felt unsafe, even at night. It was certainly not the most pleasant of areas - there were a lot of prostitutes around, not all female either, but nothing that could be called threatening. The only 'dangerous' aspect of the area was trying to negotiate crossing some of the roads around Piazza Garibaldi!

I can't honestly say that I found Naples the most pleasant city. Even in the old centre, I never found the atmosphere or character that I love, say, in Rome, but of course I recognise that this is at least partly down to personal preference. But I will be back there for another stay within the next few years, as it is simply the most convenient base for seeing everything that I wish to see in the region, and I will almost certainly stay in the same area again, and no, I am sure I will not feel unsafe in so doing.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Naples dangerous?

With apologies to the two cities for all the ways in which the comparison falls down, but you might think of Liverpool as being our equivalent of Naples?

Both once rich port cities, hugely important centres of the local area, that have declined as other parts of the country have risen in wealth and prestige. Fantastic heritage of religious, civic and private buildings. People with little respect for authority but almost their own language, a strong sense of local pride - great comics, singers and musicians - and businessmen. Districts that are at the very least a bit scary. Wonderful traditions of food and wine (oops, but nine out of ten ain't bad!).

Peter

Level Contributor
213 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Naples dangerous?

I am a woman in my 50's who travels with another female friend to Naples twice a year. I have walked the entire city many times and have NEVER had a problem....but I do carry myself in the same way i would in any large city, meaning ..like I know where I am and where I am going. No camera hanging around the neck or expensive watches or jewerly. I stay in a safe area because i do want to go out at night without feeling uncomfortable. I try to dress like a local so as not to have tourist labeled on my back. The beggars are a pain but they are NOT italians & are nothing to be afraid of. They are no worse than the Mexicans that beg in several resort areas I have been in Mexico...........and the flirting boys are no worse than places in Spain(or the US for that matter)!! I live near NYC so possibly that is why I never understand all the negitive things I see here. I LOVE THIS CITY..........but I am one of those people who like to see the way the locals live no matter where I travel so we rent an apartment and have made wonderful life time friends. I also love Rome, Capri, Sorrentino, Florence(by the way that is where I was ripped off worse then any where i have ever been)Ravenna and Salerno...............BUT NAPLES IS MY FAVORITE !! WHY??? Maybe because it is so differnt .....................enjoy

Midlands England
Level Contributor
367 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Naples dangerous?

I've been visiting Sorrento since 1975 and I love the place. But it's a holiday resort not a living city. It's a bit like comparing Torquay with Birmingham.

I haven't been to Naples but I'm going in October and I'm really annoyed that every time I went to Sorrento the tour guides scared me off Naples. Maybe it's part of their job - avoiding insurance claims or stamping "Heath and Safety" on tourist's foreheads so they can't be blamed?

I've only been robbed once on holiday or when travelling and that was in Milan! (The rich, modern and sophisticated North!!)