We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the girls have gate crashed our holiday ideas please

essex
Level Contributor
109 posts
5 reviews
the girls have gate crashed our holiday ideas please

hi all off on another italian vacation to beautiful naples although this time my friend and i decided to seclude our selves a bit by staying at the towers hotel stabiae we new it would be remote, so a couple of trips out to the sorrento area was all we were looking for . Now my 18 yr old daughter and her friend are coming with us luckily they are not the type to need entertainment they came with us to florence last year, they are very into history and culture so it looks like we will be off to pompei again and possible herculaneum as this is part of their college courses so it would be worth it. Being so remote I think its going to be awkward to get out and about but i dont want to get booked tours unless i have too. The hotel has a shuttle bus to the station vico equense which will help from then on i have no idea, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

11 replies to this topic
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,379 posts
166 reviews
1. Re: the girls have gate crashed our holiday ideas please

From Vico Equense station take the train to Naples in one direction or Sorrento in the other. At Sorrento and Naples you can take ferries to Capri, Ischia or Procida. Train from Naples to Salerno will get you onto many ferries that run along the Amalfi Coast.

It's definitely not a hotel I would choose, having driven by there many times. It's not only isolated but on a busy main road.

essex
Level Contributor
109 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: the girls have gate crashed our holiday ideas please

hi kathy thanks for your reply. we have changed our accommodation to the city centre it made sense. The girls are only staying for 4 days and we have 3 days on our own after that, we have a view of the sea and easy access to everything, just need to sort out a bit of an itinery now pompeii, herculaneum one day hopefully capri for one of the other days

Australia
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: the girls have gate crashed our holiday ideas please

You should consider yourselves lucky that your daughters want your company. Do your best to make them proud.

Level Contributor
516 posts
4. Re: the girls have gate crashed our holiday ideas please

They will love Naples. The art and architecture is amazing. But also the shopping. I was there last October, and I asked a local woman where to get fun jewelry for my daughters. She suggested Bella Bri.

https://bellabri.it/it

It is a tiny shop run by the the jeweler himself, and he makes very colorful stuff from resin. I bought a few items. Also, in the same store, there is a woman who makes inexpensive purses. Again, very colorful. He has two locations, but go to the one at Vico II San Domenico Maggiore, 2, that is where he usually is. It is hard to find the store. You walk up the narrow street past the church and it is in the second block, on the right (east) side. The street also has a number of other small artisanal shops.

essex
Level Contributor
109 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: the girls have gate crashed our holiday ideas please

thankyou

essex
Level Contributor
109 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: the girls have gate crashed our holiday ideas please

hi kathy,

we need to plan a few of our days, tues and fri we will stay in Naples just looking for the top tips. Wednesday..... Pompeii and Herculaneum on public transport either bus or train where to get either and how to get back. Pompeii is hot so there first, I think. Don't really want to hang around anywhere working out routes, in and out of bags looking through maps.(pickpockets etc)

Thurs we wanted to either go to capri or sorrento, girls wanted a beach day , or a rock day .!!!!! lol. Where would you suggest for one day. And the best way to do this. Thankyou

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: the girls have gate crashed our holiday ideas please

And I got a great silk and leather purse at JiJi in that same alleyway. Again, a little shop where the proprietor makes them herself. https://m.facebook.com/JijiLovemade/

essex
Level Contributor
109 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: the girls have gate crashed our holiday ideas please

I will definitely take them here

thankyou

uk
Level Contributor
666 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: the girls have gate crashed our holiday ideas please

You must make your plans around your fitness levels........ Pompeii and Herculaneum are both tiring, walking on the hard cobblestones, plus after Pompeii, it's a long downhill slog to get to Herculaneum from the train.

Don't wipe yourself out, then miss the nightly parade of locals, in places like Via Toledo, Pignasecca, Mergellina etc.

Take it easy, if the city gets under your skin, you'll want to return.

New Windsor
Level Contributor
312 posts
21 reviews
10. Re: the girls have gate crashed our holiday ideas please

I would choose Herculaneum over Pompei. Better condition, smaller, less people, easier to get around and equally, if not more, interesting.

Reply to: the girls have gate crashed our holiday ideas please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted