We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Herculaneum or Pompeii and what else - from cruise ship

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
169 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Herculaneum or Pompeii and what else - from cruise ship

We are arriving in Naples on a cruise ship. We get in at 6:30a (which is kind of useless) and leave already by 5p. My goal is to see the Amalfi Coast... However I feel like I should see Pompeii but through research have found that there is Herculaneum too. My gut tells me that Pompeii would probably be the must see but thought I would ask the difference and what would be better. I would only probably spend 2 hrs or so as, while I love history, this is a very port intensive cruise and this is towards the end. I think by this time that will be all I would care to do. I think I would like to go to Sorrento? I am going to try and tailor make a tour and get others from our ship to join. Any help is appreciated.

3 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
17,785 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Herculaneum or Pompeii and what else - from cruise ship

There is no such thing as a "must see", there is only what will bring you pleasure. I've never understood wasting precious vacation time slogging around a place that doesn't particularly interest you because "they" say it's important.

Pompei and Herculeneum are apples and oranges, two towns that happened to have been destroyed in the same volcanic event but different in pretty much every other way. Again, if this doesn't interest you, why waste time choosing between two alternatives that don't do anything for you?

Reaching the Amalfi Coast from Naples using public transit isn't hard but it does take time, and getting back when you have a hard stop time like a ship pulling out requires planning. If you're going to try and see the AC within the confines of a port day and use public transit to do so, it needs to be your only destination.

If that's what you decide to do, the easiest route would be the train to Salerno (there are trains that early in the morning, not to worry) followed by either the bus or ferries from there out along the coast.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
17,785 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Herculaneum or Pompeii and what else - from cruise ship

If you are hiring a car service you can cram more in but given your early arrival you'd have to leave Pompei or Herculeneum, if you choose one of them, to the end of your day rather than the beginning. They don't open until 9 AM and it would be a tragic waste of your limited time to put that visit first.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
169 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Herculaneum or Pompeii and what else - from cruise ship

Thank you for your reply. I didn't mean to imply I wasn't interested, I just want to only spend an hour or 2. Because we have so little time and so much to see, it's just so hard. My intention is to hire a private driver and make my own plan a bit. I appreciate your insight.

Reply to: Herculaneum or Pompeii and what else - from cruise ship
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted