We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento or Positano or both?

3 posts
Save Topic
Sorrento or Positano or both?

My brother and I are going on a trip in the next month or so to the Amalfi coast. We are staying our last night in Naples (due to early flights the next day) but are unsure if we should stay in Sorrento, Positano, or both? Regardless of where we stay, we want to hike Path of the Gods (the Praiano/Positano portion), see the beaches of Positano, and possibly go to sea caves (if they are worth it, I've heard mixed reviews). Does anyone have any insight into whether it makes sense to stay in Positano or Sorrento (this portion of our trip is two days of exploring, third day making our way back to Naples)? We found similarly priced places to stay so that is not an issue. For context, we are both in our young 20s.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 13:08
Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Praiano
Praiano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Best Seller
Ruins of Pompeii & Mt Vesuvius Day...
3,744 Reviews
from USD 139.70*
Capri and Blue Grotto Day Tour from...
250 Reviews
from USD 174.60*
Best Seller
Mt. Vesuvius and Pompeii Day Trip...
1,645 Reviews
from USD 104.80*
7 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,180 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorrento or Positano or both?

Accommodation www.booking.com www.bed-and-breakfast.it

www.positano.com www.sorrentotourisim.com www.italia.it/en/discover-italy/campania

Buses Sorrento to Positano to Amalfi and Ravello www.sitasudtrasporti.it enter region "Campania' click on Orari for bus times

Ferries www.alicost.it www.travelmar.it

Trains Sorrento to Naples www.eavsrl.it/web/content/orario-ferrovia

Alibus Naples train station to the airport

www.timeout.com/naples

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Naples
Naples
brisbane
Level Contributor
396 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorrento or Positano or both?

I would stay in Positano. After doing the Path of the Gods (you will need to catch a bus to Amalfi, then one to Bomerano, then you walk back to Positano), so you want to be in accommodation before that so you don't have the bother of luggage (plus, there aren't that many buses to make the connection to the starting point). Then, after the walk, I wouldn't want to be getting on a bus back to Sorrento.

We stayed two nights in Positano in March. We were travelling from Naples, so stopped for a few hours in Sorrento before travelling on to Positano, saw some of the village in the afternoon, did the Path of the Gods walk the next day, went to Positano beach in the afternoon (swimming on a 17 degree day because my children are mad) and then travelled on the next day.

You have the options of ferries from Sorrento during warmer months and this would be pleasant, but adds to your cost quite a bit too.

If you have a car, parking will be a challenge and you will have to retrace your steps after the walk (or deal with the bus anyway) to get back to your car.

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Naples
Naples
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorrento or Positano or both?

Thank you! This helps a ton

Boise ID
Level Contributor
21 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorrento or Positano or both?

Path of the Gods is closed between Praiano and Positano. Was just there in early May and walked the path from Bomerano to Praiano with a guide. The closure is because of a fire last year with rains later in the year that washed out the path enough for the local municipality to close it down. I did see some folks start the trail going toward Positano so its probably passable.

Mentioned in this post
Praiano
Praiano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Dublin
Level Contributor
133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorrento or Positano or both?

For anybody who has been there, are these paths similar to Cinque Terre?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
37,749 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorrento or Positano or both?

I'd go with Sorrento

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
436 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorrento or Positano or both?

It depends what you want. Positano is lovely but Sorrento is better for access to ferries and trains. The train is useful for Herculaneum, Pompeii and Naples. I loved Sorrento but it does lack beaches. Maybe your best bet is to stay at both.

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Hotel Herculaneum
Hotel Herculaneum
506 Reviews
Ercolano, Italy
Pompeii