We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight stop between Rome and Naples?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Overnight stop between Rome and Naples?

We're planning a trip to Puglia next year and will be flying into Rome from New Zealand. I like the idea of visiting Naples on our way to Puglia. The plan would be to pick up a rental car on arrival at Leonardo da Vinci airport and driving towards Naples. Due to jetlag we won't want to drive too far on the first day so are looking for ideas of where to stay for the first night. It would need to be approx. 1 to 1 1/2 hours out of Rome towards Naples. I see there is a longer coastal route as well as a motorway. Ideally a charming town with some good options for eating out. I don't know this area at all so would appreciate some ideas and advice on interesting places in this area. Also as we head towards Puglia, what are the "must sees" along the way?

Special Offer
Ruins of Pompeii & Mt Vesuvius Day...
3,899 Reviews
from USD 125.18*
USD 139.09
Likely To Sell Out
Discover the Ancient Ruins of...
Pompeii Ruins Day Tour from Rome
31 Reviews
from USD 157.63*
South Pole
Level Contributor
745 posts
1. Re: Overnight stop between Rome and Naples?

Express train into Rome. Fast train to Naples. Overnight and tour Naples. Pick up Rental car in Naples and drive to Puglia..

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
444 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Overnight stop between Rome and Naples?

The coastal route is much longer and difficult to drive than the motorway, though the coast is beautiful I personally wouldn't choose it unless I wanted to get to a specific place on purpose.

Anyway if you want to get there I suggest to stay in Gaeta or Formia.

When in Naples a car is useless, parking is pricey and scarce, ZTL are spread all over the city where you are not allowed to drive. Furthermore the metro system is cheap, reliable and diffused enough.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
6,187 posts
160 reviews
3. Re: Overnight stop between Rome and Naples?

Research carefully a stay in Naples as a car really is not needed.

I think Gaeta is an option for an overnighter.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
18,551 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Overnight stop between Rome and Naples?

I would take either the bus from the Rome airport to Naples or the train, spend time in Naples, and pick up your rental car as you leave Naples. If not you'll pay for days of car rental plus parking when you won't be using the car, as you can't drive in Naples. Public transit is pretty good and can easily get in around the city and to key sites like Pompei.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
5. Re: Overnight stop between Rome and Naples?

Thanks for all your comments. Sounds like the best idea in that case is to get public transport to Naples and rent the car from there. We'll work on that idea. Thanks again :-)

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
18,551 posts
44 reviews
6. Re: Overnight stop between Rome and Naples?

Renting from the airport is easy, and you exit right near an entrance to the autostrada so you're no where near one of the ZTLs.

7. Re: Overnight stop between Rome and Naples?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2018, 15:18