We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capri Trip Review

Which Capri hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
233 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Capri Trip Review

Below is my review of our trip to Capri. I have also posted reviews of Positano and Rome in their forums if you're interested.

Below are all my pictures from the trip (including a side trip to Madrid, Spain to visit friends).

kodakgallery.com/gallery/…

We took the ferry from Positano to Capri. We used porters to get our luggage to the ferry port in Positano and also from the ferry port in Capri to our hotel. I highly recommend this if you have bulky luggage. Expensive, but worth it to us. The ferry ride took less than an hour and was pretty smooth. When we arrived in Capri, the crowds were a bit overwhelming. I thought Positano was crowded during the day, but Capri was much worse! Lines for funicular tickets and to get on the funicular to get up to Capri town were crazy.

La Minerva

This was our favorite hotel of the trip. When we walked here from the town center for the first time, we took the long way to avoid the steps. After that, we took the steps and the route was much shorter. We loved the location of the hotel—far enough away from the town center that it was away from the crowds and in a serene environment, but close enough to quickly walk to town for activities and dinner. It is also a very small hotel, I think it only has 12 rooms. We only saw a couple of other guests at the pool and at breakfast during our stay.

The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The waiter at lunch and breakfast was very enthusiastic and did a great job. The pool was nice and empty (but a bit cold at the end of May). The views from the lobby and the breakfast terrace were beautiful—sea views through large trees.

We enjoyed lunch here one day by the pool- I had spaghetti with tomato and my husband had spaghetti with tomato and prawns—tasted fresh and delicious! The breakfast was also good. Such a nice view from the breakfast terrace too. They had meats, cheeses, breads and pastries (probably my favorite breakfast of the trip). You could also order eggs at no additional charge—one day I had scrambled eggs; and my husband had delicious eggs benedict each day.

Now for the best part, the room. We had a superior room and it was wonderful. Very spacious room, the most comfortable bed of the trip, and beautifully decorated. The bathroom was also spacious with two sinks and lots of large fluffy towels. There were electric blinds which did a great job of blocking out the light when we wanted to sleep. The balcony was huge with very comfortable lounge chairs, shaded with a pergola and had a nice view of the sea through the trees. I spent a lot of time relaxing on that balcony.

If we ever return to Capri, we would stay here in a heartbeat!

Activities in Capri

We arrived Capri around 11 am and were luckily able to check into our hotel early. We checked in, had lunch at the hotel and then went out to explore Capri town. We visited the Augustus Gardens which were very pretty and had beautiful views of the Faraglioni Rocks. We then walked up the Punta Tragara. This was a beautiful walk to admire the high end villas and beautiful bougainvillea around every corner. There were also beautiful views along the way. Then you ended at a gorgeous viewpoint of the rocks at the end of the walk. My husband walked down to the beach to check it out and I just sat on a bench in the shade and took in the views. My bum foot probably could have made it down to the beach, but I don’t think I would have made it back up!

On our first full day we took a 2 hour group boat trip around the island. I would have liked to have done a private gozzo boat, but I just couldn’t justify the cost. I thought the group boat trip was nice and a good value. The views from the water were gorgeous and a nice compliment to the views we experienced from the island. We also had a stop at the Blue Grotto, and even though there were tons of boats around and people waiting to get in, we were able to get in there pretty quickly. The blue colors of the water were unbelievable! And the singing of the boatmen in the grotto just added to the ambiance. I personally loved the Blue Grotto experience and thought it was worth it, but my husband did not feel it was worth the cost. (the blue grotto was optional and an additional cost to the main boat ride).

After the boat ride we went back to Capri town and explored a bit before heading back to relax on our wonderful hotel balcony. While I relaxed, my husband took the hike to Villa Jovis. He really enjoyed it and thought it was worth the hike.

Our next full day was spent in Anacapri. We took the bus and were lucky to get seats as it ended up being jampacked. Our first stop was to take the chairlift to Mount Solaro. I really enjoyed this and the views going up were great. Unfortunately, when we made it up to the top, we were in a large cloud and there were only views from one side. I still thought it was worth it for the experience though.

After taking the chairlift back down, we took the walk to Villa San Michele. I highly recommend this! Gorgeous place and the views were even more gorgeous! We spent a lot of time here just taking in the views. We then explored the streets of Anacapri and visited two of the churches.

Capri Tips

If you’re going to take the bus to Anacapri, and you happen to be there early when the bus arrives the terminal, get on as soon as it gets there and just wait until the driver returns and gets going. The buses are small and get packed, and we were able to get a seat on the way up because we happened to get there just as the bus arrived.

Be sure to explore the towns and walk up side streets because you never know what you’ll find.

Restaurants

La Minerva- we had a “light lunch” at our hotel by the pool. I had spaghetti with tomato and my husband had spaghetti with tomato and prawns. Fresh and delicious!

Ai Faraglioni- We enjoyed this restaurant and the waiters were very friendly. I had roasted chicken and oven baked potatoes which were good. My husband had the steak tar tar, which they made tableside-- he has always wanted to try it and he thought it was great. I, on the other hand, didn’t want to think about him eating raw meat, and did my best not to watch him eat it!

La Cisterna- located in a tunnel passageway, we happened upon this restaurant when we were looking for Da Gemma (which was closed that day). The owner of the restaurant was an interesting character. We had the mozzarella in carrozza (which I thought was delicious) as an appetizer, then split a margarita pizza. The pizza tasted a bit like NY style pizza, so my husband really liked it. I thought it was just ok. Funny, they had bottles of wine on the table and pictured on the wine bottles was the owner shirtless basking on the beach/rocks. However, I would not recommend this restaurant. They charge a bit less if you pay cash. We did not come across this in any other restaurants though. When it came time to pay the bill, they just write it on a piece of paper, and I think they rounded everything up. We ended up paying around 35 euros for one margarita pizza, a mozzarella appetizer, a water and a coke- not exactly the prices on the menu! We definitely had more expensive meals on Capri, but got more for our money elsewhere.

Pulalli Wine Bar- Nice view from the top of the clock tower—definitely get a table outside if you can. The restaurant has a somewhat small menu, but was reasonably priced for Capri. We had croquettes as an appetizer-- they were not very good and cold in the middle. I had ravioli which was good but nothing special and my husband had spaghetti with clams which he thought was great.

Il Saraceno Di Cafiero (in Anacapri)—We both had pizza here, I had margarita pizza and my husband had pizza with eggplant. Both were good.

Il Geranio—this restaurant had a great ambiance, up on a hill with a nice view of the Faraglioni Rocks. We had zucchini fritte as an appetizer which I really liked, but my husband just thought was ok. For my meal I had brick chicken and baked potatoes. My husband had spaghetti with clam sauce. Both were good, but nothing special.

Campagnano di Roma...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Capri Trip Review

Nice well written review. Thanks for sharing.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Capri Trip Review

You have really taken the trouble to put down each detail. Definite help for my forthcoming trip to the area.

San Antonio...
Level Contributor
116 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Capri Trip Review

Thank you for taking the time time to post your trip. An interesting read.

George Town...
Level Contributor
54 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Capri Trip Review

Thanks for the review - bring back memories :) Lovely place indeed! Will definitely visit it again if I go to this part of Italy.

old bridge,new...
Level Contributor
693 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Capri Trip Review

Thank you,, will take some of everything you posted with me to Capri,, Great report for someone like myself who is going there.

6. Re: Capri Trip Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2013, 19:20