We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento - A must or bust?

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bla
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sorrento - A must or bust?

Hello trip advisers.

We've booked flights to Naples in early July for a week.

Pompeii is a must - but we are less sure about where to stay.

We like to relax, swim, shop, eat out, sunbathe and promenade in the evenings.

Sorrento is the obvious choice but it might just break the bank, I fear.

Is there a less expensive option which is just as good or better. I want stunning views, lovely squares and beaches. Nice and busy but not too crowded.

I don't want to penny pinch but if it's 15 euros for 3 drinks every time we sit down it will just cripple me.

Any advice please?

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorrento - A must or bust?

I am afraid you are in a popular area in Euroland ! If you want to sit down somewhere nice for your drink it will probably cost you 5E. Otherwise buy your own at a supermaket and find somewhere to sit!

Sorrento is still probbly your best bet just look for those small places in the back streets to eat.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorrento - A must or bust?

Agree on the prices - we have been to the Amafi Coast three times with our similarly aged daughters in the last five summers.

Your accommodation is also going to reflect peak season. Perhaps look for an apartment which will give you more space and you can buy more of what you need from shops to control the cost.

Sorrento - no beaches. If that's important, it's not for you. We much much prefer the Amalfi Coast side of the peninsual (I saw your post in the Amalfi forum too). The beaches are pebble but there are some great beaching for snunbathing, enjoying fabulous views, swimming, snorkeling, jumping/diving off the rocks etc. Our daughters really adore those beaches and we like them too.

concord nh
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorrento - A must or bust?

Yep . . . you're going during peak tourist season so prices will be high. However, that doesn't mean you'll break the bank if you do your research on where locals go, buy any alcohol (especially wine) at markets or farmers' markets and take it with you and have a glass or two on a bench with a view. Buy food at a local market for picnics or to eat back at the hotel to save money also. There is a beach of sorts at Marina Grande that is a beautiful town just a short walk the town center. It's like another world with colorful buildings, fishermen and a few tavernas. Sorrento is probably the best place to base yourself if you want to take day trips to the Almalfi Coast without paying the Amalfi Coast prices, plus there are side trips to Pompeii, Naples, and maybe the islands of Capri or Ischia.

In fact, we will be in Sorrento this October and got a good deal at 60 euros a night at El Pozzo in the old town.

Edited: 26 May 2012, 04:18
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorrento - A must or bust?

"We like to relax, swim, shop, eat out, sunbathe and promenade in the evenings."

These are all expensive actvitites June-Augsut in Sorrenot and the Amalfi coast. Sant'Agnello the next town up from Sorrento is cheaper but to swim show of max eattting out you have to go into Sorrento. Sant' Agnello has it's own Circumvesuviana stop on the way to Pompeii though.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorrento - A must or bust?

Drink water at lunch adn for 3 euros, it is enough for 2-3 people.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorrento - A must or bust?

Look at hotel Il Nido above Sorrento for accommodation.

No problems with purchasing your own drinks from the supermarket to enjoy on the balcony.

Maybe Rota Suites for self catering option?

Go down to the bathing platforms to swim in the sea & take paninis etc. for a picnic.

Sorrento is the best base really for the area.

Meta has a beach which the locals frequent so you could look at accommodation there maybe as an alternative.

There are a lot of inexpensive places to eat out if you research but yes probably 15 euros for 3 drinks.

NBB.

bla
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorrento - A must or bust?

Thanks for replies so far. must admit I am more worried rather than less.

Thing is, I've always wanted to go to Pompeii. Never been able to afford it and this year, I just thought *** it! - and booked the flights.

I'll have a further look around the area - cheaper hotels and perhaps Sant' Agnello if that has easy access to Pompeii.

Are there other places that are easy to get to from Naples and Pompeii?

15 euros for 3 drinks is not possible for us. Blimey! I thought there was a global recession on!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorrento - A must or bust?

For an idea of travel times by bus and trains locally, try my rough guide here:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/132567370

Fares are generally reasonable... although it's €10 for the bus that runs from the airport to Sorrento, you'd then pay €4 for the train to visit Naples itself, or just €2.80 to get to Pompei - with these being the tickets for use whilst actually on the Peninsula....

www.unicocampania.it/index.php…

And just about all of these places should be within day trip range.... most of them much more easily than when starting from Ischia, which is how we've done them!

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/tele

For a tediously long attempt to explain how bar prices work here, try reply 5 in this:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187780-i567-k47…

Peter

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
19,464 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sorrento - A must or bust?

On year when I went to Pompeii on multiple days with my daughter, I stayed in a hotel in modern Pompei by the Circumvesuviana stop. Lodging and food is cheaper in Pompei than in Sorrento. the hotel we stayed at (Villa dei Misteri) was a budget selection that did not even have TVs in the rooms.

Pompei is not beautiful like Sorrento. there is no beach, and there is virtually no shopping. Dining selections are restricted. Many nights we took the train to Sorrento (30 min ride) to eat dinner and shop.

My daughter was in college and because of the enormous costs of tuition the trip had to be a cheap one. We went in Feb because it was lot cheaper then and she had spring break from College then. However, I do not believe that this budget-like vacation is the kind of vacation that you are envisioning, based on your original post. You need to set an approximate budget of some kind, and then figure out how you can achieve that. You mostly get what you pay for. This part of Italy is heavily frequented not just by foreigners but my Italians from other regions. It's beautiful. Demand is high so prices are high esp june-august.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sorrento - A must or bust?

We are going in July and decided to stay in Sant Agnello, Hotel Caravel. They have a variety of rooms and you can do b&b or half board. From doing some research we found that we can walk down into Sorrento or the hotel has a shuttle bus service. I've been once before and visited Herculaneum which was brilliant and easy to get to on the local train service and you can also visit Vesuvius on the train. I don't think there is a beach in Sant Agnello but it seems to have everything else you want.