We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel money

1 post
Travel money

Me and my partner are going to sorrento for a week in September and wondered how much money we will need to take? We intend going on a few days trips on local transport and going to capri.We like to have a beer and a few glasses of wine at night and will be dining out a few nights as well.

16 replies to this topic
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
1 review
1. Re: Travel money

Why do you need to take a certain amount? Do you not have any other access to money than carrying it around? Spend as much or as little as you like.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,880 posts
2. Re: Travel money

Maybe one hundred euro for incidentals, your debit card for ATM cash and your CC for purchases.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,616 posts
632 reviews
3. Re: Travel money

Take about 100 Euros a day otherwise use a Credit Card. You could also use ATM card to get money.

Manchester/Naples
Level Contributor
151 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Travel money

Personally I use cash, but I am very much in the minority.

Check your bank, I used to get charged quite a lot for cash withdrawals and transactions. Most banks seem to be quite reasonable.

Make sure you used a bank affiliated Cash machine rather than those that pop up anywhere (huge fees).

Prices for food/drinks are similar to city based restaurants in the UK, to give you a guide as to what you may need 👍

Durham, United...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: Travel money

Hi

We also use cash most of the time and debit cards for big purchases. The cash is kept in the room safe. As already mentioned, the prices in Sorrento can be similar to the UK. House wine can be about 5 euros a glass, beer about 6 euros, coffee 2 or 3 euros, pizza and pasta meals can be 10 euros but some restaurants can be over 100 euros for a 4 course meal. You can usually check the prices on the menu boards outside and fish is often advertised by weight so beware when ordering fish.

Ferry to Capri

https://www.positano.com/en/ferry-schedule…

Eddie

toronto
Level Contributor
211 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Travel money

I like to do a vacation budget, it's a side effect of A type personality. Does 200 euro a day sound reasonable (not including hotel). Of course I won't carry in cash, just a question for budgeting purposes.

Manchester/Naples
Level Contributor
151 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Travel money

I think you’ll be fine with 200/day 👍

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,838 posts
140 reviews
8. Re: Travel money

Here is what we always do:

Start off with 200 or 300 Euros and use our credit card as much as possible and then if we need more cash we just withdraw from a Bankomat (bank owned) ATM.

It was suggested to put cash in room safe. It's not safe, most places the staff all know the passcode.

You should have a money belt or pouch under your clothing for large denominations, passport, credit and debit card. That way you are much more safe from pickpockets.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,616 posts
632 reviews
9. Re: Travel money

"Personally I use cash"

I'm the same as well. I generally only use credit card for the hotel stay.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
386 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Travel money

I also prefer cash as I have had a couple of scares where a previous bank put a stop on my cards despite being informed that I would be abroad! I have used safes in hotels in Italy over 20 times and never had a problem. The suggestion that money in a safe is unsafe in Italy due to hotel staff is offensive.

It is always difficult to suggest a monetary budget for others, but having been to Sorrento several times, I think that €200 per day sounds more than reasonable. There is a recent post on this forum about spending money and costs which people can search for. Sorry, but I couldn't put a link to it in!

Reply to: Travel money
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sorrento
Recent Conversations