We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beachfront hotels

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
115 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Beachfront hotels

We are planning to spend 4 days in the Amalfi area before heading to Rome:

1. Looking for a hotel with best beaches, Sorrento or Positano?

Any other recommendations?

Only interesting in beachfront hotels (less than 5 min walking).

2. Do hotels provide a transportation to/from Naples train station? How much would be Taxi/Uber?

3. Does it worth to rent a car to see other cities/villages?

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Naples
Naples
10 replies to this topic
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beachfront hotels

... beaches on the Amalfi coast are not the long white sandy strips you may have in mind ... most Italians consider sandy beaches “sporco” (dirty) and prefer small pebbly/rocky beaches ... in Positano you can find hotels on or convenient to Marina Grande which is the large beach there ... many hotels along the Amalfi Drive are on the water but the road sits 200 to 300 steps above so you might check that your hotel has an elevator ... driving the Amafi Coast can be a great adventure but parking is expensive to non-existent ... if you drive be certain your accomodation has parking and be prepared to get about mostly by bus, ferry or water taxi. all that said, the AC is beautiful beyond words and I have been going every year for decades ... enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Restaurant Marina Grande
Restaurant Marina Grande
1,496 Reviews
Amalfi, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
115 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beachfront hotels

Thank you, Frank.

Yes, I do not expect a Caribbean type beaches, just want to be close to water.

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
613 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beachfront hotels

Mostly italians consider sandy beach “sporco” (actually sporche...) what? I don’t understand what you mind but I believe you’re pretty wrong.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beachfront hotels

... thanks for the spellcheck Luigi ... my Italian friends explained to me that sandy beaches make the water murky which looks dirty ... pebbles and rocks keep the seaside water clear ... maybe I have the wrong Italian friends?

Edited: 13 May 2018, 07:55
Sun Valley, Idaho
Level Contributor
234 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beachfront hotels

In Positano we have stayed at (and loved) the Covo dei Saraceni on a number of trips. You may want to check it out and see what you think. Its got - in my mind - the advantage of being down at the water rather than high up in town. So the dock, the beaches, and the water access are at your doorstep. The main beach in Positano isn't my favorite. I'd walk over to Fornillo or maybe go to Da Adolfo (take boat from the dock) for a beach day with great food. NB: Fornillo loses sun a little earlier than the main beach though. Again, all easy options to access with minimal effort from Covo's location. Some people have said the noise from the boats docking bother them at Covo, but honestly we've stayed there several times over the years and never had an issue. Our rooms have always been located a little higher and over to the side. Excellent views.

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Covo Dei Saraceni
Covo Dei Saraceni
980 Reviews
Positano, Italy
Fornillo
Fornillo
1,006 Reviews
Positano, Italy
Da Adolfo
Da Adolfo
758 Reviews
Positano, Italy
Sussex
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beachfront hotels

Agree with Luigi. Where do you find Italians from rich to poor in Summer? On the beautiful sandy beaches of Italy - just a couple of hours drive South from the Costa Amalfitana (sssh) is where you'll find Napoletani on the Cilento coast with miles of sandy beaches. Many others prefer Puglia, Toscana, Rimini.

On the Amalfi Coast we loved Marina di Praia. It's pebbly (you'll need swim shoes) and very small; gets pretty crowded but September it's more accessible. Lots of locals bring their own sunbeds and umbrellas. The Hotel Alfonso a Mare is nice - not luxurious but the location is idyllic. Or you could rent a villa high up in Praiano Alto with lovely views. Very true about sky high parking costs and that's when you can find a space which can be a challenge.

Mentioned in this post
Italians
Italians
141 Reviews
Chieti, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Amalfitana
Amalfitana
354 Reviews
Milan, Italy
Puglia
Puglia
Italy
Rimini
Rimini
Province of Rimini, Italy
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Hotel Alfonso a Mare
Hotel Alfonso a Mare
148 Reviews
Praiano, Italy
Praiano
Praiano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beachfront hotels

... I usually take an apartment on the beach in the fishing village of Conca dei Marini ... parking is provided at Hotel Belvedere at the top of the stairs ... there is a bus stop there as well a water taxi service from the beach ... Amalfi is less than 10 minutes ... Positano perhaps 20 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
New York
Level Contributor
2,909 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beachfront hotels

Sorrento doesn't really have beaches and it's not on the Amalfi Coast. Positano is where I always stay and I walk over to Fornillo as already recommended. One thing to keep in mind about Positano is the iconic views that you see in photos will not be from beach level. If you want the "traditional" iconic views you need to stay up a bit higher by the road where many of the hotels are located and then just walk down. Not to say you won't have views, but not quite the same at beach level

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Fornillo
Fornillo
1,006 Reviews
Positano, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
115 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beachfront hotels

Thank you all for helpful replies.

One more question.

What is the weather like in mid September?

Sussex
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beachfront hotels

The sea temperature will be glorious - about as good as it gets. The weather - wonderful. It's our favourite as still very warm but comfortable; no-one can guarantee anything with weather of course.

Reply to: Beachfront hotels
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted