We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi to Sorrento by ferry - do I need to book in advance?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Amalfi to Sorrento by ferry - do I need to book in advance?

Hello

Advice please, I’m goin from Amalfi to Sorrento by ferry - do I need to book in advance or can I just turn up, buy a ticket and get on? Thanks in advance of your advice

Rach

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
3 replies to this topic
Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
5,374 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amalfi to Sorrento by ferry - do I need to book in advance?

What if the sea is rough and the ferry is not running? Buy your ticket after you arrive and you know what the sea conditions are going to be. At any time of the year the Sea conditions can change for the worst and so small ferries run.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amalfi to Sorrento by ferry - do I need to book in advance?

We were at the Amalfi ferry pier on 30 April 2018, all the ferry ticket kiosks are in a row on the pier. You do not need to book in advance, you can indeed just turn up, buy a ticket and get on. We enquired about tickets to Sorrento and Salerno, and in fact it is not possible to buy advance tickets at the pier (you might be able to buy tickets on a website?), not even on the day before travel. In the event, we went on the 10.35am ferry to Salerno, it was less than 20% full, we were told that later ferries tend to be more busy. Hope that helps! The ferry is a great way to travel, superb views of the coast and we saw dolphins!

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
16,333 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amalfi to Sorrento by ferry - do I need to book in advance?

There is only one operator on the Amalfi to Sorrento run, Alilauro, and the schedule is not very good for a day trip as the first run of the day doesn't depart Amalfi until 11:35 AM (arrives 12:40 PM), and the last return of the day from Sorrento departs at 2:55 PM.

www.alilauro.it/orari-e-tariffe

Mentioned in this post
Alilauro
Alilauro
72 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Reply to: Amalfi to Sorrento by ferry - do I need to book in advance?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted