We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Civitavecchia to Amalfi Coast

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Civitavecchia to Amalfi Coast

My daughter and I will disembark from a cruise at Civitavecchia and want to head to the Amalfi Coast. How? How long? Where to stay when there? How long to Capri? Need to know how long we need to stay there, in as short a time as possible, to do a tour and see Capri. Any advice would be invaluable. Thanks in advance!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,630 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Civitavecchia to Amalfi Coast

This is some trip. You have to take a local train from Civitavecchia to Rome Termini (the main station), where you change to a fast train to Naples. What you do next depends on exactly where you will be staying.

To get to Sorrento, go into the station basement and take a suburban train. From Sorrento, you can change to a bus for Amalfi.

To get to Capri, take a taxi from Naples station to the waterfront, and then a ferry.

How long to stay there depends on how long you have in total and what other places you want to visit. I spent 5 nights in Sorrento a few years ago, and found plenty to keep my interest.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Civitavecchia to Amalfi Coast

Thank you so much for your information. We actually would like to see the Amalfi Coast, Cinque Terre and Venice and I thought it'd be easier to see the Amalfi Coast first because it looks closer to Civitavecchia, where we disembark from the cruise. You say we'd have to go to Rome so would it then be better to go straight to Venice, then the Cinque Terre followed by the Amalfi Coast? Any advice appreciated! Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,630 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Civitavecchia to Amalfi Coast

Frankly, if you are going to visit the Cinque Terre, I would suggest that you do not travel all the way south to see the Amalfi Coast. Both areas have some very scenic villages on steep cliffs, over-run with tourists.

And if you are from Caloundra, you should be able to see seaside places any time. There is so much more that Italy has to offer.

Edited: 14 July 2011, 15:46
Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Civitavecchia to Amalfi Coast

These were places suggested by others , but I'd welcome any other suggestions you might have. On the cruise we'll be visiting Rome, Sicily, Florence and Naples. Where else would you suggest we go?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,630 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Civitavecchia to Amalfi Coast

If your cruise is stopping at Naples, you could probably visit the Amalfi Coast and/or Capri from there.

There are many other places that you might visit, but a lot depends on how much time you will have in Italy after you leave the cruise at Civitavecchia. You might get some ideas from our long visit to Italy in 2006: see http://nickbooth.id.au/Pages/Italy.html

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,551 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Civitavecchia to Amalfi Coast

I agree - how much actual time you have to spend in Italy will help you plan your time and destinations - as will a guidebook.

People have all sorts of preferences but what you yourself want to do may be made more fully clear to you by looking through a good guidebook of Italy.

If you have three weeks or more then I would say go to both CT and the Amalfi Coast as well as your other mentioned destinations. For less time, I would choose just one of the seaside areas - either CT or Amalfi Coast and Capri though, yes, if you spot in Naples, you can easily spend the day on Capri.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Civitavecchia to Amalfi Coast

Thank you both so much for your input. Your website is fabulous, sydneynick, and the photos beautiful. We've asked the travel agent whether we can get off the ship at Naples, rather than go back to Rome, so then we can head to the Amalfi Coast, where we'll stay for four days, seeing the Coast, Capri and Pompeii. We then want to go to Venice (not sure yet whether by plane or train - any suggestions?) and stay there for a couple of nights then on to Milan, from where we want to take a trip to Lake Como. How does this sound? We get off the ship at Naples on 4 October and leave Milan on 14th.

California
Level Contributor
36 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Civitavecchia to Amalfi Coast

I would suggest a pass on Milan, take the extra time in Venice, off the St. Mark's Piazza.Get a vaporetto pass and hop on and off everywhere including outlying islands like Murano.After seeing St. Mark's and Rialto Bridge, best parts of Venice are the neigborhoods around Castello and the train station, Academia areas. And by ferrying Cinque Terre you can see all 5 in one day, it closes by 8pm, good place to spend the night. Lake Como in 2 dys(tour by boat-stop in larger towns-by car get to see alot of huge estates, gets cold there especially if raining..Have the Branzino(fish) in Venice--whole fish-best fish in my life-2x's. I'm going to Amalfi/Sorrento/Pompeii after cruise dropoff In Civitavecchia, the details are bogging me down. Spent 3 wks from Rome to Venice w/ day in Nice/Monaco 2 yrs ago w/ an itinerary like you're trying to do. Very doable-trains are absolutely amazing in Italy.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Civitavecchia to Amalfi Coast

Thank you so much. Will take your advice on board!

Regards

Joyce

Qld, Australia

princeton jct
Level Contributor
52 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Civitavecchia to Amalfi Coast

We've been to the Amalfi Coast (Capri, Amalfi, Positano) as well as Cinque Terre. Amalfi Coast is definitely better, more scenic, more shops and restaurants. It's breathtaking. We found Cinque Terre a bit small and very time consuming to get to.