We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi, Capri vs. Santorini, Mykonos in July??

Washington,d.c.
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
Amalfi, Capri vs. Santorini, Mykonos in July??

HELP!! My husband and I are trying to plan either trip Mykonos and Santorini or Capri and Amalfi for 9days from July 12-21. I have 2 completely seperate trips research and planned and he has been advised not to do either in July because of the heat and the crowds. Can someone please advise to which they would suggest or if they agree that they will both be miserable at this time of year.

Now he wants to change it to Hawaii!?

Boston...
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Amalfi, Capri vs. Santorini, Mykonos in July??

I spent 2 weeks in GREECE last summer in August and it was pure heaven! Have you been to Italy or Greece before? I have been to both, and I think you will be so thrilled with Greece!

I stayed in Santorini, it is gorgeous. We were going to take a ferry to another island, but we met travelers who went to Mykonos and said it was too young & clubby... so Santorini is the BEST! We decided to stay for a week on Santorni instead of "island hopping" which most people usually do. Truly amazing and romantic! You can even fly there from Athens, instead of taking the dreaded ferry boat...we hated the ferry so much (crowded and hot) that we bought airline tickets for the the return flight to Athens. I suggest doing roundtrip.

I highly recommend it! wonderful wineries, amazing food, and it's not too expensive either. Take a nice cruise around the island...Rent a 4-wheeler ATV and drive around the island to the red beach, black beach and you will love it. The buses are really good too...and you can walk all around. I would stay in Firastefani ... it is amazing and more quiet than Fira Town. Just 5 minutes walk. You can get a romantic room on the caldera (the volcano pit) which is amazing. Hotel Margarita has a pool! I highly recommend it!

If you would like more details, let me know!

Yamas! (cheers!)

Melissa

Washington,d.c.
Level Contributor
143 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Amalfi, Capri vs. Santorini, Mykonos in July??

thanks so much for your candid response. I have not been to italy in 25yrs. I am 40 and my husband is 50. He has not been to pro greece but has agreed to go if that is my preference. he prefers amalfi. I would like to see more than one island if we go to Santorini stay there 5 nights and 4 nights somewhere else. we are both concerned about the crowds the heat and my husbands not sure of the food and wine. where italy he is certain he will not have an issue. we are also from the d.c. area and concerned that the travel to the islands is just a huge hassel. i'm a real beach person how are the beaches. also, i keep hearing to stay in oia. what are your thoughts?

california
Level Contributor
491 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Amalfi, Capri vs. Santorini, Mykonos in July??

we too went to santorini for 8 nights last year and did not island hop as we had planned. we stauyed in OAI and rented a car - it was the most amazing trip!! I loved every moment! there is really allot to do in santorini all the little towns, the beaches lots of resturants, etc.

i'm going to italy the first time this summer so i can't comapre the two but santorini is amazing!! i woudl go back in aheartbeat - my husband wanted to go someplace different this year or wlse we would of gone back to santorinin...

good luck - i'm sure you can't fo wrong with iether greece or italy

btw: we travled in aug and it was perfecet, the weather was great and the crowds were not that bad.. =)

4. Re: Amalfi, Capri vs. Santorini, Mykonos in July??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 06:16