We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalphi Coast Planning

South Australia...
Level Contributor
115 posts
23 reviews
Amalphi Coast Planning

Help please from experts in this area. We will be coming from Florence, what is the best way, car or transport. We realise this is a large area and we are travelling mid June so busy time. Do we stay in one place & move around, I prefer to unpack & stay in one place for few days preferably.

I am seeking suggestions or ideas for 3-4 days in this area. Best place to stay, we are in our mid 50's and active so like walking, though not too many stairs, my husband has an old knee.

Any day tours to islands etc, want somewhere nice to stay but not nice and expensive.

Would be really grateful for any ideas.

We are travelling to Calabria after for about 2 days & I would like to visit Naples too, would we fit all this in with another 6 days left after Positano?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45,704 posts
1. Re: Amalphi Coast Planning

Positano is not good for someone with a knee problem; choose perhaps Amalfi (the village) itself - it is flatter and has easy access to the ferries and buses.

You do need to book ASAP for the AC as it is high season and places get booked up up to a year in advance - check www.booking.com to see what comes up for your dates and your "not expensive" (which could mean any sort of budget) -

You don't say what you want to do while in the area; you don't need a tour to go to any of the nearby islands (Capri, Ischia, Procida) - just a ferry over to them -

Sorrento (which isn't on the AC) is much larger than any of the Amalfi Coast villages so may have more options for accommodations and it is not physically challenging -

You seem to want to do an awful lot in the area in just 3 or 4 days, not sure how you intend to manage all you have mentioned. You might consider staying on the Amalfi Coast, going over to Capri (for example) for a day, come back to Naples and spend a day there but you have so little time - You need to decide what you actually want to do and what is possible in so little time there -

www.positano.com has info on all the Amalfi Coast villages

www.capri.net has info on the island and the boat schedules

www.napoliunplugged.com has info on Naples

South Australia...
Level Contributor
115 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Amalphi Coast Planning

Thanks a lot for the info. As I am not familiar with the area I gave no idea at all what to do & nothing planned, hence seeking ideas. Your suggestions and info are great, I believe Sorrento is lovely too & a day trip on ferry sounds beautiful, we don't have to do Naples.

Do we need a car or is there transport in this area?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45,704 posts
3. Re: Amalphi Coast Planning

Having a guidebook will provide you with the details you need to have and also all the choices you have for the area - there are a number of very good ones on the area on Amazon if you don't have a book shop.

Yes, of course, there is public transportation in the area - The www.napoliunplugged.com has info on public transportation to Sorrento (as well as the ferries, etc)

There is are different buses - SITA buses, Coach to Coach bus which travels from Sorrento to the Amalfi Coast, etc -

A car in the area is mostly a hinderance and very pricey given the cost of parking, etc

Edited: 04 May 2016, 21:32
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Amalphi Coast Planning

My choice to stay is always Praiano. I use the Hotel le Fioriere. But likely now fully booked as it is a wonderful place. The buses stop out in front of the hotel. It has free parking as well. You can bus easily to Positano and Amalfi, as well as Sorrento.

5. Re: Amalphi Coast Planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2017, 14:17