We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi, Sicily or Turkey

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
92 posts
50 reviews
Amalfi, Sicily or Turkey

Hi

We are travelling to Italy with 2 adult children, aged 22 and 24. We booked Venice and Milan and were planning on going to Naples, the Amalfi Coast and possibly Sicily in the next 6 days. Our children want to go to Turkey but my gut says this should be another trip with more time allotted. Suggestions or advice? Thanks!!

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
1. Re: Amalfi, Sicily or Turkey

I think your gut is right! Turkey is a massive country which needs more than a few days for even the most cursory visit.

Already Naples, Amalfi Coast, Sicily..all in 6 days? (if I understand you right). Inadvisable. You'd only be travelling all the time. When would all this be?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45,698 posts
2. Re: Amalfi, Sicily or Turkey

I can't imagine how you plan to do Naples, Amalfi and Sicily in 6 days - is that what you are saying you are planning?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,816 posts
3. Re: Amalfi, Sicily or Turkey

You wouldn't have sufficient time for Turkey, nor would you have time for Sicily - Fly from Venice to Naples and enjoy Campania (Naples, the Amalfi Coast....).

Vagabonda

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
92 posts
50 reviews
4. Re: Amalfi, Sicily or Turkey

Thank you for your insight. I agree to visit Turkey during a separate trip. I was thinking of flying from Venice to Naples or Sorrento and using Sorrento as a bas for the Amalfi coast. Would Sicily be too much? Sounds like it is. I dont want to be travelling the whole time. Thanks!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,816 posts
5. Re: Amalfi, Sicily or Turkey

Prego LosAngelesSoccermom,

There is no airport in Sorrento, but Curreri Viaggi runs direct bus service from the airport in Naples to Sorrento.

Sorrento is a very convenient base for exploring Naples, Pompeii, Herculaneum, Capri, and the Amalfi Coast - You could easily spend your time in Campania.

Sicily is a 2-week destination with Eastern and Western Sicily taking a week each.

Vagabonda

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
92 posts
50 reviews
6. Re: Amalfi, Sicily or Turkey

Thank you. Ill go back to my original itinerary. Do you recommend Campania as a base for the Amalfi coast or Sorrento?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
115,816 posts
7. Re: Amalfi, Sicily or Turkey

Campania is the region (of Italy) that encompasses Naples, Sorrento, the Amalfi Coast...

You would find Sorrento a very convenient base, but if you were to spend a week in Campania, you might appreciate a few days in Sorrento as a base for sightseeing in Naples and Pompeii, but then a few days on the actual Amalfi Coast (Positano, Amalfi town...), since the experiences are very different.

Vagabonda

8. Re: Amalfi, Sicily or Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 14:16