We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for Italy in September??

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for Italy in September??

I'm travelling with 5 other 55+ people to Italy in September & we're not sure of how long & where to stay in each spot. We want to see many big attractions but we also want plenty of time for sidewalk cafes & wine drinking. We would also like Vacation Rental Apartments or Villas instead of hotels. Here what we are thinking.

arrive 5:45 Sunday night in Venice

- 3 nights in Venice

- train to Florence

- 3 nights in Florence

- bus to Siena or ??

- 5 nights in Siena or ??

- bus?? to Rome

- 3 nights in Rome

- train to Sorrento

- 5 nights in Sorrento

- back to Rome for 1 night

- fly back to Canada 10:10 AM

Does this itinerary sound reasonable?

Thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for Italy in September??

Hi

Sounds fine to me. Need to set up your accomodation being 6 of you though.

As for the question mark on Florence and Siena. They both have something to offer. We stayed 5 nights in Florence and two in Siena on the way down to Rome.

If you all are into the arts and museums, then 5 is fine in Florence but we did not see everything in Florence, how could you, there is so much, but in our case 4 nights would have been fine, although we did come down through Lucca. From Florence, you can get a train up to Lucca for a day out.

You could go by bus to San Gimignano a Tuscan hillside village for a day out, as we did. Although you change buses at a small village on the way. We enjoyed that day out as the village has lovely views down over the Tuscan hillside. We ate in a trattoria going up the main via on the left. Great lunch. There are shops and boutiques there also and it's history of towers in the village is interesting.

We then caught the bus for about an hour down to Siena from Florence where we stayed 2 nights in a B & B in the old town. It was in walking distance of everything.

We caught a taxi to the train station and then the train to Rome as we stayed in another B & B two streets away from the main station, which suited us as we then travelled down to Sorrento for 5 nights also.

Did Pompeii, just back up the railway line not too far from Sorrento, bus ride around the Amalfi Coast to Amalfi and Ravello above ( another bus where you get out) and the car ferry as foot passengers across to Capri and then a finicular up to Capri from the Marina and then a bus up to Anacapri on the top. Back to Rome by bus, booked at a travel agency in Sorrento and picked it up outside the train station to Rome. We got off at a train station a few stops from Roma Termini the main station and caught the train back to the city and our same B & B. We had two nights in Rome on the way down and 3 when we arrived back...still didn't see it all as you do lose a bit travelling down from Siena and up from Sorrento.

I have reviews of all of these places which is near the bottom mof the second page of reviews, as well as a trip list "Italy by train and bus" We two matured sis in laws spent a month in Italy arriving early October 07. Booked all our accom over the net before we left and bought train bus tickets as needed while there. Just made sure of the train timetables on www.trenitalia.it before we left. We booked our first train trip from Zurich down to Lake Como through our travel agent to ensure we got into the country the following day of arrival.

Trip List

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i17407-Italy…

I have aTrip Wow slideshow of the 9 days we spent in Tuscany

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-00d0-29da-eccf…

Also a Trip Wow of Sorrento, Pompeii, Amalfi Coast and Ilse of Capri

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-00d0-7de0-b8f5…

Be glad to help if need be

Niec

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for Italy in September??

Meant to add, we ate, drank and mixed with the locals as we either stayed in apartments for 5 nights and then had 2 nights in B & B's. So we did our own cooking at breakfast had lunch out and sat with a plate of italian nibblies and a glass of wine looking at the view before dinner in. The supermarket below the train stations in Rome and Florence (out the back), were good and even provide Italian wines. I also found the cassa de rosas or blanca ( house wines) were very good. We mostly ate in trattorias as they are family run and not as expensive as restaurantes, although we did go to a couple of restaurantes along the way. Wait until you see the delicatessens there. Some markets sell food also including cheese off the blocks etc.

Great country to visit.

Enjoy Italia

Niec

Edited: 13 April 2011, 08:30
Secunda, South...
Level Contributor
122 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for Italy in September??

Ciao R. I take that you fly into Venice?? I spent 13 days in Italy in 2007 with my friend (then 39 years old). Awesome! Unforgettable!! I carefully planned our trip. We wanted to be mostly on our own, BUT also necessary to take guided tours here & there. It gives you better knowledge of history & insight etc. We did: 3 nights in Rome. 2 nights in Sorrento. 5 nights in Florence. 1 night in Venice. 1 night at Lake Como. Guided tours of: Colosseum, Vatican, Morning city tour of Florence with lunch (bus & walk), full day trip to Siena & San Gimignano by bus, then walk around. Bought point to point train tickets. Had enough time to do our own thing. YOURS: 2/3 nights in Venice are fine. Your stay in Florence should be longer & Siena fewer days. Florence can be a base from where you can take trips into Tuscany & see Pisa etc. (We planned an adventure from Florence: took train to Camucia, bus up the hill to Cortona & a looong walk to see Bramasole - house of writer Frances Mayes - Under the Tuscan Sun). Rome maybe one more & Sorrento one less. Rome has much to see. Eternal city. Sorrento=beautiful!! Took bus to Positano. Of course can take trips to Amalfi & Ravello from there. Not to forget the Isle of Capri. Even Pompei. The trains & buses are great. The best is to see Italy by rail. Accommodation: Rome?? I stay there with family. Florence = stunning BB. Also in Sorrento, but a number of steps - don't know how mobile your group is. Don't know how interested you are in guided tours. I deal with 2 great operators. I'm flying to Rome in June 2011 with my dad to see the family. Again used same operators as in 2007 to see other places than before. There are stunning half or full day trips from Rome / Florence & Sorrento. Good luck!! You're going to fall in love with Italy. It's a beautiful country!!

Secunda, South...
Level Contributor
122 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for Italy in September??

@Niec: Super. We went to very similar places. Priceless hey? @R: To be more specific about the transport: We flew into Rome. To get to Sorrento - we took a train from Termini Station in Rome to Naples (Napoli). (Just under 2 hours). Then you take the Circumvesuviana Train from Napoli station to Sorrento. (Very important to note: You can't go straight from Rome to Sorrento by train). But it's easy - no worry. In Sorrento, take BUSES to Positano and places like Amalfi / Ravello. Boat trips to the Isle of Capri etc also possible. From Sorrento we took the Circumvesuviana train back to Napoli station. From Napoli we took another train to Florence. (3 hours 15 minutes). From Florence trains & buses for day or half day trips. From Florence Eurostar train to Venice. (2 hours 40 minutes). From Venice - Eurostar to Milan. (2 hours 20 minutes). From Milan train to Como (40 minutes). Bus to our BB on Lake Como. Train from Como - back to Milan. From Milan station - bus shuttle service to airport in Milan from where we flew back to SA via Paris. I still have my train tickets...haha.....that's why I know how long the trips were. A railpass - from my experience is NOT cheaper than buying from point to point. As said before I would spend MORE time in Florence & less in Siena. The daytrip (guided tour) from Florence to Siena & San Gimignano was great. Shout if you need more info.

Seattle, USA
Level Contributor
56 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for Italy in September??

I'd be inclined to go directly from Siena to Sorrento, then end up in Rome. That way you don't break up your stay in Rome, and you don't waste time checking in and out of hotels.

Otherwise I really like your itinerary and am glad to see you're not doing a lightning tour of the land of la dolce vita. And congrats on doing open jaws into Venice, out of Rome.

Secunda, South...
Level Contributor
122 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for Italy in September??

Good idea not to break up stay in Rome. Only problem is a direct train from Siena to Sorrento .......don't think it's possible. As said - the Circumvesuviana that goes to Sorrento runs from Napoli. Any train from Siena would probably be a slow(er) train. I'm almost certain that to get the FAST Eurostar to Napoli (Naples), one would have to go back to Florence first. Not entirely sure.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
63 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for Italy in September??

Thank you all for the help. I will definitely talk to our group about switching the "Rome & Sorrento" order. It makes perfect sense. I guess we originally planned this order because we thought "some busy days in big cities and then some relaxing days in smaller places" but when you think about the extra hassle of commuting & checking in/out it just doesn't make as much sense.

And travelling with six people may be a challenge. Not everyone wants the same thing. I want some history & some relaxation. I know I won't see it all so I won't try to wear myself out trying. It's going to be tricky finding a balance but with the proper research we should be fine.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for an area to stay besides Siena? Something smaller than Florence but within range of day trips in the area. We'd especially like some vineyard tours or cooking classes or ???. Something fun but restful at the same time.

Thanks again for your assistance. I can see I will be spending quite a bit more time reading all of the forums available.

Bev

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for Italy in September??

Hi

We broke the Siena to Sorrento down as it is over 5 hours on the train and that is the fast trains. Fathom in the waiting times in Naples to get the vesuviana train also which we had to do. Also I had to stand for quite a while on the Vesuviana train as there were no seats. This is the only train for the local people along this track also and so it was crowded at the time. Not sure about the Roma Termini if there is a wait for a change over as the train from Siena does not go all the way down to Sorrento. My companion didn't want to do more than about 3 or so hours on a train, so hence we stopped in Rome for 2 days and as mentioned only 2 streets from the train station which was good. We got our bearings went to the Colosseum by the metro only about 2 or 3 stops away and just across the road from the station. Also caught the train to see the Trevi Fountain but a bit of a walk to it, perhaps a bus would have been closer. There are buses outside the Roma Termini train station (main) as well as quite a few tour buses ( hop on and off ) Tour of the Catacombs etc.Buy tour bus tickets near the buses. Buy local bus tickets in a little tabacchi ( tobaconist) like a window on the right as you walk in. The train to the airport is usually waiting at one of the platforms for you as are all trains leaving this station which is good. There is a shopping centre below the entrance, an info centre below also to book tours etc. This is one handy area to stay if travelling as we did. We had no problems walking to/from our accomodation but then we didn't go out late at night.

Also once in Naples, there is a bit of a walk to the other train and are many steps down to the Vesuviana platform if you have rolling luggage.

If you are travelling light you may be able to stop at Pompei on the way down in the Vesuviana as it is about 45 mins south of Rome and about 20 min or so north of Sorrento. The site is directly across the road from the station, which is good. Or you could do it while in Sorrento.We did it from Sorrento for about 4 hours and still didn't see it all.

Going back to Rome and because of my companion and the stairs, my having to stand on the train, we opted for the bus from Sorrento Railway station as previously mentioned. Besides we had another view coming back into Rome.

9. Re: Itinerary for Italy in September??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 20:18