We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

purchasing Italian pre- paid sim card

Sudbury, Ont. Ca
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
purchasing Italian pre- paid sim card

We are travelling to Italy with an unlocked gsm cell phone and had planned to purchase a prepaid Italian sim card upon arrival...I have recently read some information that indicates that this is not all tthat convenient. I have read that passport details are a requirement and then it takes 72 hours to activate the card in oreder to use the phone, I have also read that only Italian residents can bur sim cards! This sounds ridiculous...has anybody been ther recently and purchased a card??? pleas advise!!!

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,788 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: purchasing Italian pre- paid sim card

Boykie,

I have purchased two SIM cards from TIM. It took about 20 minutes and they did want to see my passport. In each case I made a call while at the store to be sure it worked.

Sudbury, Ont. Ca
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: purchasing Italian pre- paid sim card

Thank you for your prompt response! There is so much incorrect information out there in cyber space!

I have just a few more questions...how techy do you have to be to activate this sim card and will someone at the TIMM kiosk walk you through it??? Do they have Kiosks at the airport...if so do you recommend purchasing there??? Do you have any other traveller advice if so please share it with us!

We are flying into Rome, renting a car and driving to Agropoli for 6 days...driving back to Rome, spending 2 days, then train to Venice to visit with nearby relatives, returning to Canada on the 6th of June probably 10lb. heavier!

Any comments would be appreciated!

Ciao, Anita and Frank

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,788 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: purchasing Italian pre- paid sim card

Boykie,

Check here for TIM stores privati.tim.it/template/…00.html

You could also use Vodephone or Wind. Thses three are the big players in Italy.

TIM is supposed to have a store at FCO but I couldn't find it. I just bought mine in the first town I stopped at (Spoleto, Siena).

I assume your phone is a quad band. I didn't need to know anything to get the phone to work but I did ask for the prompts in English and they did tell me to dial4916 to check my balance. You can add time at practically any tabac.

dallas
Level Contributor
287 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: purchasing Italian pre- paid sim card

I haven't (yet) been, but a knowledgeable poster on the forum recommended www.telestial.com. I am worried about having problems when I arrive, and this company apparently sends the SIM card to you at home so you can put it in and test it ahead of time. They also have an "auto recharge" feature, so the company automatically adds $ to your card when the balence drops below a certain level.

For me, even 20 minutes is too much time on vacation to spend dealing with my phone!

-Jenmol

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: purchasing Italian pre- paid sim card

I was in Italy 3 1/2 weeks ago. I have a qudband unlocked GSM phone and purchased a SIMcard from the Vodafone shop in the bolgna airport for 5 Euro. I had to show my passport and they put the SIM card in and it was activated right away. It was pay as you go and the SIM card included 5 Euro of time.

I added more time while in Rome and the minimum addtion was 10 Euro. I had the store do it as the instructions were all in Italian.

Mostly used text messaging and a few phone calls.

6. Re: purchasing Italian pre- paid sim card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2009, 16:32