We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy In March- Yay or Nay?

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Italy In March- Yay or Nay?

Okay so my family and I are planning a trip to Italy around March 18, 2019- April 2nd. The plan is to hit Venice, Florence (and neighboring Tuscany towns), Rome, and Positano. As far as plans go, I have questions about whether certain places are open during this time given its offseason (which is honestly why we chose March, less heat/traffic). We originally planned the last week of March and the First week of April (March 25-April 9th) but had to move it due to our conflicting schedules, and thus I worry about the week making a difference as far as our plans. I have flexibility as far as activities go but here are my basic (and what one may consider to be the popular) desires for each city that I question if I can do during the time we are going.

Venice- gondola ride (evening time); this will likely be the first city we visit. We mainly plan to stroll through the streets & shop, but of course, we'd like to take a gondola ride. are they open/operating then?

Florence- cathedrals, museums. Are these open during this time frame? I'd like to see much of the art and churches if possible.

Rome- Trevi fountain, ruins, and the Colosseum. these are open year round right?

Positano- This will be the last stop of the tour. We plan on doing some hiking, shopping, exploring of other towns in Positano, and then taking a ferry out to Capri and the Blue Grotto. I've seen conflicting information about when ferries operate during the 'winter' months. I've read that the tours normally start after Easter (which is the 21st next year) my question is, is this true? will there likely be no way of accessing Capri and the blue grotto during this time frame? We debated staying in Sorrento since the word is they start sooner but I'm really set on Positano for many reasons.

Any advice about all this? I appreciate all the help in advance. I hope this time frame will be good tourist and weather wise, but really hope things will be open. We do not have the ability to move the trip dates (outside of reason) due to us already asking time off, planning, etc.

28 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
8,292 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy In March- Yay or Nay?

There are no guarantees about the weather - but it should be quite pleasant spring weather in Rome and the Bay of Naples.

As for whether places will be open - yes they certainly will! Places like Rome and Venice are among the world’s top tourist destinations and they are full of visitors all year round.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,793 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy In March- Yay or Nay?

"Florence- cathedrals, museums. Are these open during this time frame? I'd like to see much of the art and churches if possible." Of course, they are year round and it's a good time to come as tourist numbers are relatively speaking lower. However, possibly not so good for the Tuscan countryside for unless it's been an exceptionally mild winter, that could still be looking a bit grey and miserable.

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy In March- Yay or Nay?

Thank you both for your replies! You are making me feel much better about choosing to go that time of the year. I was skeptical as I've seen such conflicting information when it comes to traveling during the off season.

I guess my only last concern is the question about Capri. Does anyone know if there will be ferries running from Positano to Capri during the last week of March? No schedules are available since its many months in advance, and I am questioning whether I should truly give 3/4 days for Positano if we cant do a day trip to Capri.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy In March- Yay or Nay?

responses #1 and 2 offer good advice and helpful information and good suggestions to consider and follow. Follow through with your initial plans If you are stuck within this time period for vacation and can not change travel schedules as the places you mention are open and will eagerly welcome you especially those in the larger cities known for bringing tourists at all times of the year a bountiful basket of places to visit. Yes the famous art museums and galleries will be there. Weather will depend on the harshness or cold of the preceding winter and how long those conditions extend to the early spring for the most part. Not entirely predictable at all times however. Most likely it will not be sunny summer time but not unbearable . Crowds are likely to be be smaller. Stay within these principal larger destinations and cities and you should have ample time to attain your travel goals. We do not know schedules for boat trips at this time of year. We know something about late spring weather in some parts of Italy. Between the hot muggy and humid weather of July or August for central and southern Italy there are reasons and advantages for choosing springtime to travel there. In light of what happened in Genoa recently it might be wise to write ahead or inquire about safety concerns. Yes your basic concerns for specific cities are duly noted and informed ideas. Be careful with how you manage your time in the Positano area as playing with time there and moving a schedule for staying in and around Positano can be problematic. Some places have the tendency to keep visitors in one place longer than you and others anticipate staying there. Florence will likely keep you there for much greater time when you are already determined to see the art galleries and the like. Uffizi just does not just let you go suddenly. You might want to devote more time there to explore those places rather than get lost and marooned in the places mentioned about your visit to and around Positano. Personally it might be wise for me to advise you to allocate more time to Rome and Florence if your intellectual priorities are there. Going to Venice is not a top priority for us when Florence and Rome are alternative places to visit. Transportation to and from places associated with your visit to Positano - Blue Grotto and Capri - will take time. You did not mention your much preferred mode for transportation during this expedition. For getting to major cities choose the train. Be careful how you manage your time if you travel by rental car. Read the contract carefully and share your duties for driving with another person for safety, convenience, cost reduction and flexibility in planning your day-to-day segments of your vacation. Let somebody else do the driving whenever possible.That is not why most people come to Italy - to learn traffic regulations. You have good preliminary plans. Hope this helps.

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy In March- Yay or Nay?

thank you! we do plan on traveling by train between cities. Except of course we there is no train from Rome to Positano, may have to look into alternative modes but havent quite put anything into stone. I'm going to keep a look out for ferry schedules and see if i can gather whether we will be able to make it to Capri. Thanks!

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy In March- Yay or Nay?

does anyone else have any experience with Italy in March? All advice or itinerary ideas are welcome.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,425 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Italy In March- Yay or Nay?

I have been to venice, Florence and Volterra in early March (not all on the same trip). As of march 1 even in smaller Volterra, 90% of the attractions were open. Lots of restaurants and shops. In Venice and Florence everything was open. I have also been to Rome 3X in late feb/early March. For us, Rome is jsut like spring in early march. Where I live often you May is the earliest you see spring time weagther. Everything is open and the only places with lines are gthe Vatican Museum and the Colosseum. The trevi fountain is even opne and running in december

Edited: 16 August 2018, 05:55
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,425 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Italy In March- Yay or Nay?

"I guess my only last concern is the question about Capri. Does anyone know if there will be ferries running from Positano to Capri during the last week of March? "

no ferries to the Amalfi coast until near Easter. There are ferries between Sorrento and Capri and Naples and Capri all winter long. I have been to Capri in late Feb. Lots of stuff was closed, but it was still very beautiful there.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,615 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Italy In March- Yay or Nay?

We were there on exactly your planned dates this year. Unfortunately, fairly bad weather most of the time. But do not despair; do not. We had a good time.

I have been there several times in March and April and the weather may be unpredictable, but do not worry about it, do not.

The important thing is to be in Italy, and more often than not in the Spring we have encountered nice weather.

If you go to Venice, it may be worthwhile to carry some light shoe covers in case of high water - but remember that when high water hits it only lasts for 5-6 hours. For the other areas carry some light rain gear.

You might rethink the gondola ride, it will be cold out on the water.

Everything was open when we were there this year.

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Italy In March- Yay or Nay?

Thank you lupaling, your answer was very helpful. Do you by chance know anything on whether blue grotto tours from capri will be running during this time? If i were to take the trip from naples to capri instead, i'd like to tour the blue grotto if possible. Thanks in advance!

Reply to: Italy In March- Yay or Nay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted