We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some structure to travel plans

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Need some structure to travel plans

In Sept 2018 my husband and I (70, and 64) will be finishing a bike tour of northern Italy at the north end of Lake Garda. We have about a week then to visit some areas of Italy where we have not been before. We are thinking of Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast. Any advice as to which would be more pleasant for a few days touring, walking and dining? We have previously done much of Tuscany, Rome, Venice, Verona etc. How would you recommend that we travel: train or rental car? Where would be the best place to select hotel so that we can center our activities?

I know this is a broad question but the rest of the vacation is very structured and would like this part a bit more "free-flowing".

I appreciate any advice you can share with me.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre
Italian Riviera, Italy
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: Vatican Museums, St...
23,576 Reviews
from USD 74.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
6,980 Reviews
from USD 108.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Private...
542 Reviews
from USD 395.80*
9 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
286 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some structure to travel plans

Depending on your departure point this might change, but, train to Sorrento, day trip the Amalfi Coast with car and driver, Ravello, Positano, Amalfi, and Priano. Plus, a day Capri and what's left for Sorento itself. I don't think 5 Terre would be the best bet for you.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Virginia
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some structure to travel plans

No need for a car in either place.

CT might not be enough for a week, though there are plenty of options in the vicinity (read up and see if it captures you)--and note it is horribly crowded. Another Ligurian locale might be more appealing--as you may be over exertion and not be into hiking after the biking.

I found it easier to escape the crowds in the Amalfi coast, but it really depends on if you wish to go that far and can grab a flight home from Naples.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some structure to travel plans

Thank you both for your comments. Amalfi has been on my husbands bucket list forever, and it seems you concur that this would be the better locale. I will focus my search in this area. I am gathering from your comments that Sorento would be a good place to center ourselves and explore from there.

Thanks again. Feel free to advise me of any "must sees" .

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Virginia
Level Contributor
3,907 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some structure to travel plans

You can use Sorrento as a base if you want to see everything from one place, but that would not be my choice. I would stay in Naples, which has thousands of attractions (and you may need to stay in prior to your flight anyway), as a base for visiting Pompeii, and also stay in a village on the actual Amalfi Coast to do nothing but enjoy.

If you can swing it, down the coast there are amazing Greek temples at Paestum, but it can be a bit of a slog from the Amalfi coast.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Naples
Naples
Pompeii
Pompeii
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Paestum
Paestum
Capaccio-Paestum, Italy
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some structure to travel plans

Excellent suggestions. What "little village" on the coast would you recommend? Would you suggest splitting the accommodations between Sorento, Naples and a village? I hate packing up every day but a couple days in each would be okay.

Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
894 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need some structure to travel plans

I would not split my time between those three places. I would either split between Naples and an AC village, to get a city and quiet seaside experience. Or split the difference and stay in Sorrento the whole time, which is neither a big city nor quiet village destination, but has easy access to both.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 09:08
Mentioned in this post
Naples
Naples
Sorrento
Sorrento
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need some structure to travel plans

I found what looks like a reasonable hotel in Sorrento, The Hotel Carlton International. Saw the ease of getting a ferry to Capri and along the Amalfi Coast. If we were going to do two nights in one of the small towns, which would you recommend.. Is staying on Capri a better choice than Sorrento?

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Carlton International Hotel
Carlton International...
695 Reviews
Sorrento, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need some structure to travel plans

I wanted to make our train reservations for the trip down from Rovereto to Sorrento. I recall reading on this site that there were good and lees good online sites to use. Can anyone remind me of which is the recommended site for making Italian train reservations?

Mentioned in this post
Rovereto
Rovereto
Province of Trento, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,268 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need some structure to travel plans

www.trenitalia.com use the Italian names, i.e. Napoli Centrale. www.italotreno.it is the private competitor.

You can have a private driver pick you up at Napoli Centrale (70-100 Euro) to your lodging in Sorrento or use the local commuter train or Campania Express to Sorrento.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Napoli Centrale B&B
Hotel Napoli Centrale B&B
133 Reviews
Naples, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Reply to: Need some structure to travel plans
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted