We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy: Safety with a baby

3 posts
Save Topic
Italy: Safety with a baby

Everyone is so helpful on here so I am hoping someone can calm my nerves.

We are traveling with our 8m old for 3 weeks across Italy. What is the best way to manage pickpocketers and theft with all the baby related gear? Did you feel safe traveling on buses with your child, or should we take private cars when we can? Will we have a huge target on our backs? I’ve heard Italians love babies, but then there are the horror stories on google telling me that gypsys use your child as a way to distract you and steal one of your resting bags.. am I overreacting? My husband and I are smart travelers, for the most part, am I being a paranoid mama?

Thank you kind Trip Advisors!

Special Offer
Waking Up the Vatican: VIP Early...
58 Reviews
from USD 371.90*
USD 531.20
Best Seller
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
24,125 Reviews
from USD 73.40*
Best Seller
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
12,126 Reviews
from USD 58.00*
8 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,943 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy: Safety with a baby

I think you are over-reacting. You deal with pickpockets very easily by ensuring that valuables are tucked away well inside your clothing, preferably in a money belt worn under your clothes. Stay with your luggage at all times.

There is a great deal of misinformation floating around the Internet.

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
798 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy: Safety with a baby

Have you decided on your itinerary yet? I notice you didn't respond to the replies in your March posting. You had planned to explore the West coast of Italy, most of which was navigable by train. Have you made your reservations yet as the coastal areas fill up quickly for summer stays. If you are smart travelers than you already practice "one person watches the bags while the other one is buying tickets, tending to the baby, etc." Big cities are the same all over. You need to be as watchful on the metro in NY or London as you do in Paris or Rome. Pickpockets work areas where people are crowded together and can be distracted so city buses and metro, particularly at commuter times, are when you need to be extra vigilant. Do not leave your handbag where it can easily be grabbed (on the back of your chair whilst seated outside dining), or your phone on a table or counter where it can quickly be snatched.

Mestre, Italy
Level Contributor
11,822 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy: Safety with a baby

Just put your wallet on your front pocket

Sun Valley, Idaho
Level Contributor
234 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy: Safety with a baby

If you and your hubby are smart travelers to begin with, you will be fine :) Just remember we sometimes have "baby brain" when we've got wee ones in life and are out and about. Its very easy to put something down on a table (like a phone) while we're dealing with our baby in our arms or bending over to get something else out of a diaper bag, etc. If you can devise a system with your hubby that one of you remains watchful when/if the other one is dealing with your little, you should be just fine. To be honest, we did not do a lot of public transport when traveling with our son when he was a baby but only because of the convenience issue - not because of safety. We did take trains in Italy at that age, but otherwise we used taxis or private cars or boats. We did not deal with buses or trams. (I don't do that anyway as I dislike the hassle or such fixed transportation schedules and i dislike traveling in crowds/pickpocketing opportunities).

Mestre, Italy
Level Contributor
11,822 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy: Safety with a baby

Look, Italy is much safer than US...

Sun Valley, Idaho
Level Contributor
234 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy: Safety with a baby

I also wanted to add, that I have never felt unsafe in all my years traveling in Italy. And in fact, just like anywhere in the world - most people are helpful just as we all try to be helpful when strangers are in need. I once stupidly - during "baby brain" phase - walked away from an IPAD IF YOU CAN BELIEVE IT at a restaurant in Rome. My son had left it on the seat without telling me until we were gone about 10 minutes from the place. I raced back thinking it was surely gone only to find the waitstaff had kindly tucked it away behind the scenes knowing I would be back. This happened one other time in a small town in America with something else my son left behind...and despite being only 5 minutes...the item was gone and no waitstaff seemed to know what I was talking about. So Italy is surely not worse than other places :)

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Italy: Safety with a baby

Thank you all! In regards to my other post, yes our itinerary is booked less a couple trains. I think private car transfer will be he say to go for us. An extra $800~ over the course of a few weeks is worth my sanity rather than trying to load all our things on/off a bus.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,044 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Italy: Safety with a baby

I hope that this thread has helped you. I think you were overreacting initially, but that's understandable considering some of the rubbish that's written about safety in Europe, especially on the other side of the pond.

Reply to: Italy: Safety with a baby
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted